Each gardener thinks about what kind of vegetables to plant on his plot this year. Today we offer you to get acquainted with the wonderful hybrid variety of Shchedryk cucumbers. Description, reviews of the variety can be found in this article. In addition, we will consider the rules of agricultural technology, which must be observed when caring for a variety. After reviewing the reviews, the advantages and disadvantages of the species, everyone will be able to understand whether it is worth planting it in their garden.
Description of Shchedryk cucumbers
This variety is early maturing. A distinctive feature of the species is its high resistance to various diseases. The use of Shchedryk cucumbers is universal. They can be consumed in salads; when canned, cucumbers will turn out to be dense and crispy. Cultivation can be done both for yourself and for sale, the fruits are well stored and transported.
Shchedryk cucumber bushes are vigorous, moderately branched, abundant foliage. The type of flowering is female, from 2 to 3 ovaries are formed in the nodes. Fruiting is fast, the first phase begins already on the 47th day after the appearance of the first shoots.
Fruits are cylindrical. The average weight of one cucumber is 100 grams. The sizes are small, the length is on average from 10 to 12 centimeters, in a cross section about 3.5-4 centimeters. The surface of the fruit is tuberculate, white-thorned.
The skin is tender and fragrant, the flesh is tender, juicy, but dense, there is no bitter taste.
With proper cultivation, one bush can harvest from 5.5 to 7 kilograms of delicious Shchedryk cucumbers per season - a really generous harvest!
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Judging by the reviews of amateur gardeners and professional farmers, this variety has no shortcomings. First of all, there is a lack of bitterness even with a lack of watering. This variety is designed in such a way that it simply does not have the ability to accumulate bitter substances in itself! What other positive aspects do Shchedryk cucumbers have?
- High keeping quality of fruits, all autumn you can eat fresh cucumbers collected from your own plot.
- Due to the high preservation of fruits and easy transportation, these cucumbers can be grown for sale or taken to relatives living far away.
- The variety has a high immunity to the most common diseases that affect horticultural crops: TMV,downy and powdery mildew, root rot, olive blotch.
- The fruits look beautiful, neat, all even - excellent presentation, causing appetite.
- The taste of the fruit is simply amazing - they are juicy, sweet.
- Versatile in use.
- You can grow a variety not only in a greenhouse, but also in open ground.
- Very good seed germination.
- Stable and good yield from each bush.
- The bushes do not need pollination, so they can be grown in any conditions.
Growing cucumbers from seeds
Shchedryk variety of cucumbers can be grown both in the soil protected from the cold and in the open. Seeds can be sown immediately on the beds in the last days of May, when there is no longer a threat of frost. By observing the following rules, you will be able to grow strong and he althy bushes:
- From autumn, it is necessary to fertilize the soil with all the substances necessary for the growth of cucumbers - manure, compost. The soil is preferably loamy, it should pass air and moisture well.
- When planting, the soil should already warm up to at least 16 degrees, this will give a high percentage of germination.
- When planting seeds, keep a distance between plantings of at least 10 centimeters, between rows - about 60 centimeters, but no less. Seeds should be deepened only 2-3 centimeters.
- If you are used to using the nesting method of planting, then the distance between crops should be 50-70 centimeters.
- GoodTomatoes, cabbage, onions, peppers, legumes will be the forerunners for planting crops.
Before sowing, you need to harden the seeds by removing them for a day in the lower compartment of the refrigerator door. For faster germination, the seeds are germinated, leaving them to peck in a wet bag.
After sowing, you should still be wary of hypothermia, so at first keep planting under good covering material.
Seedling growing method
Cucumber "Schedrik", the photo of which can be seen in the article, is early ripening, but for regions with harsh climatic conditions it is still better to use the seedling method of growing.
- Before planting seeds, you need to weed them out, removing low-quality ones, harden them in the refrigerator, disinfect in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, germinate in a wet cloth.
- After sowing, boxes or cups should be covered with foil to create greenhouse conditions. Maintain humidity, and remove the film only when shoots appear.
- So that the seedlings do not stretch out, they need to be provided with additional lighting, and the temperature should be maintained at an average of +20 degrees.
- Ten days before planting seedlings in the ground, you need to harden the bushes. Take them out to the balcony or outside every day. If it is already quite warm, then set the seedlings to "walk" at night, only if frosts are not expected.
Seeds are planted for seedlings 30 days before planting in the ground. It is necessary to plant bushes with an interval of about a meter from each other, it is recommended to leave the same amountbetween rows.
Rules of care
To get a good harvest, you need to follow the rules for caring for the crop, and they are not at all complicated:
- Daily watering only with water warmed by the sun and only in the evening when the heat subsides.
- Feeding, you need to alternate mineral fertilizers with organic matter.
- Twice a season you need to treat the bushes with fungicides to maintain immunity and protect against fungal diseases and harmful microorganisms.
- The bushes are required to be tied up, so it is not only more convenient to harvest, but the growth of cucumbers will also be friendly.
- Regular weeding and loosening of the soil are a must.
If the cultivation is greenhouse and greenhouse, then ventilate every day. because a lot of empty flowers may form due to the heat.
Cucumber "Shchedryk": reviews of gardeners
Everyone who plants this variety in their area is happy. They write that the more often you harvest, the more new cucumbers grow. This is a very generous and unpretentious variety, versatile in use. Pleased with the absence of bitterness in taste. Agricultural technology is not more complicated and even easier than with other varieties.