Any room starts with doors. They perform an important practical function, dividing the interior space. The modern market is filled with all sorts of types of movable partitions, which are classified according to different criteria. To make it easier to make the right choice, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with each type of door.
There are two main types of doors:
- Input. Their main purpose is to protect against the penetration of unauthorized persons and cold into the room, to keep warm. Entrance doors must be strong and secure.
- Interior. They are installed in the partitions of the premises and serve to protect against the penetration of noise and odors from adjacent rooms. The design, finish and color of interior door panels should be in harmony with the design of the rooms they share.
Modern manufacturers produce several types of entrance doors, the main ones amongwhich:
- Wooden. They are distinguished by aesthetics and environmental friendliness. The disadvantage is exposure to environmental influences and low thermal protection. Wooden doors need constant care (painting, polishing).
- Metal. This type of door is the most common. They are reliable and durable because they have a metal frame, often well insulated, fire resistant. In addition, they do not require additional care. For their manufacture, metal from 3 mm is used.
Other types of doors (plastic, glass, aluminum) as input are used, most often, not in private construction. Aluminum products, for example, can be installed in a garage or outbuildings.
Depending on the purpose, there are types of metal doors:
- fire fighting;
- soundproof (sound absorbing).
Any exterior door that has a high strength index is shockproof. Fire and bulletproof products are the most reliable and durable. They are made from high strength alloys. Sealed doors are not used in private construction. Soundproofing views in homes are extremely rare.
According to the method of opening, entrance doors are divided into two types:
- Swing. Classic hinged design. Depending on which fittings are used, the opening of the sashes can occur in one or twosides. This type of door requires adequate space. If the room is cramped, it is not always convenient.
- Sliding. The canvas goes into the cavity inside the wall or moves parallel to it. Depending on the type, sliding doors are sliding (two-piece) or sliding (one-leaf).
In private construction, technologies of this kind are quite rare. This is due not only to the complexity of production, but also the installation of such structures. They are often used as interiors, but it is best to design them in advance, before construction work.
Number of leaves
Depending on the number of leaves, doors are divided into the following types:
- Single leaf. With one door leaf.
- One and a half. They have two doors, but only one of them opens. The second is auxiliary. It is opened only in extreme cases.
- Bifold. There are two opening doors.
Shape and appearance
Entrance doors are of several types. Here are the main ones:
- standard rectangular shape;
- arched (the upper part is semicircular);
- with a blind transom (the top element is decorative, not opening).
- with decorative elements or with glazing.
There are six types of interior doors according to the opening method:
- pendulum and rotary.
Let's consider them in more detail.
Varieties of swing structures
Swing doors are divided into several types:
- Solid. The fabric is even and smooth.
- Milled. They are used to create masonite products. The thickness of the leaf is affected by the depth of the cutter, making the door look solid.
- Panelled. They are made from a frame and binding. The design is divided into separate parts, which have a frame and filling.
- Metal-plastic. They are most often installed in office premises.
- Glass. Such doors are used to visually expand and delimit space.
Main advantages of swing systems:
- wide range;
- ability to fit perfectly into any interior;
- wide color gamut;
- large selection of material;
- Convenience and ease of use.
This type of interior doors consist of the following parts:
- box mounted in the opening;
- guides responsible for the movement of the web;
The canvas can be solid or consist of several parts.
Most popular door types:
- compartment doors;
- several doors.
Advantages of sliding structures:
- space saving;
- easy to use, effortless;
- no thresholds;
- possibility of design automation.
Accordion type doors and folding models do not require a lot of free space, so they save space. In addition, they feature modern design and easy installation.
Separation of doors by material of manufacture
When choosing a door, everyone seeks to acquire an attractive and practical product. Therefore, modern manufacturers offer many options that differ from each other in the material of manufacture.
Wood is the most popular door material. Such products have many advantages, among which it is worth noting first of all their environmental friendliness. Wood does not emit toxic and harmful substances and is always associated with warmth and comfort, which is not characteristic of artificial counterparts. In addition to aesthetic appeal, this material creates good protection against the penetration of extraneous sounds and cold.
With a wide variety of wood species available, there is a choice. Inexpensive types of wooden doors are made from a non-solid and lightweight material that is not resistant to mechanical damage. Products made from species such as oak, ash or beech are more reliable and heavier, but their cost is much higher than the first option.
Pros of wood doors:
- ecological cleanliness;
- attractive appearance;
- moisture resistance.
The only downside is the high price.
To improve the appearance of canvases made from inexpensive woods, different types of coatings are used. One of the most common technologies is veneering the door surface.
You need to use such a product carefully, monitor the humidity and temperature conditions in the room. If the operating conditions are violated, the wood will swell, which will cause the coating to peel off.
Advantages of this type of door:
- attractive and expensive appearance;
- low weight;
- resistance to mechanical stress;
However, faded spots may appear if exposed to direct sunlight.
Plastic structures. Features
Plastic door types have several positive properties. The most basic ones are:
- moisture resistance;
- good sound and heat insulation properties.
Transparent designs are very popular today, because they help not only to delimit, but also visually expand the space. They are made of impact-resistant and durable glass, the thickness of which is at least 8 mm.
The main advantages of glass products:
- visual increase in space;
- no deformation;
- moisture resistance;
- ease of maintenance.
- high cost;
- significant weight;
- labor-intensive installation;
- glass can be broken with a sharp object.
Main selection criteria
Before choosing a door, you need to decide where it will be installed and what functional load it will carry. For example, they can be used simply to divide living space, decorate the interior, increase sound insulation, and more. It is important to decide how much light it should let into the room.
Basic selection criteria:
- Material of production. The price, weight and properties of the product depend on it.
- Thickness. This setting affects soundproofing.
- Weight. For indoor installation, a door that is too massive is not needed.
- Sound and heat insulation. Thermal insulation is important for the door mainly to the balcony, for other rooms it is not. The design should not let noise into the bedroom and sounds from the bathroom.
- Moisture resistance. The indicator is important when installing the door to the bathroom, toilet and kitchen. It is advisable to choose laminated PVC.
- Design. The number and type of sashes, the structure of the leaf itself and the presence of inserts are selected depending on practical requirements.
- Finish. Selected depending on the design of the room.
- Style and colors. Choose according to personal taste preferences and design requirements.
When buying, you need to pay attention to qualitydecorative elements, accessories and locks. It is also worth considering the advice of experts and reviews of friends.