Whitewashed and plastered ceilings are a thing of the past. They were replaced by new technologies in the form of stretch fabrics and drywall structures. Both finishing methods are very popular today, so many homeowners find it difficult to choose the best option. We invite you to consider in detail the characteristics of both types in order to understand which is better - a plasterboard or stretch ceiling.
General characteristics of plasterboard ceiling
GKL is an eco-friendly material consisting of gypsum and cardboard. It can be safely used in children's rooms and rooms where people prone to allergies live.
The safety of the material is far from its only plus. GKL gained popularity due to its versatility. With the help of drywall sheets, you can not only level the ceiling, but give itan unusual shape, create several levels and add curly elements.
When studying the question of which is better: a plasterboard ceiling or a stretch ceiling, you should pay attention to the compliance of the GKL. If the polypropylene sheet creates only straight surfaces, then in the case of drywall, it is possible to play with lines and shapes. This makes it possible to implement the most daring design ideas.
Positive aspects of the material
To compare plasterboard ceilings and stretch ceilings, you should consider the positive aspects of both options. For GCR structures, they are:
- Gypsum plasterboard false ceiling perfectly hides defects in the base, electrical wiring and various utilities laid on top of it.
- It is easy to install built-in lighting fixtures in plasterboard ceilings, and the power of the lamps in this case does not matter.
- The surface created from GKL has sufficient strength. Apartment owners do not have to worry about the fact that the appearance of the ceiling can be damaged as a result of contact with sharp objects or a banal champagne cork.
- Gypsum board surfaces are to be painted and wallpapered. This allows you to change the color scheme of the ceiling as many times as you want the owners.
It is also important that drywall sheets do not belong to combustible and toxic materials. GKL burns very badly, which sometimes becomes the decisive argument infavor of this type of finish.
What about the disadvantages?
Absolutely ideal materials do not exist, therefore, when comparing plasterboard ceilings and stretch ceilings, it is worth considering the negative aspects of plasterboard structures.
Disadvantages include the following:
- Exposure to moisture. This minus can be called the most important and significant. Residents of the upper floors should pay special attention to it. If the roof leaks or the neighbors flood, the ceiling will have to be completely replaced, as the wet cardboard shell instantly becomes unusable.
- Installation of a false ceiling made of plasterboard is carried out by assembling the frame, due to which the height of the ceiling in the room is reduced by 5-7 centimeters. If we are talking about a multi-level structure, then this figure can increase by 2-3 times.
- Some experts do not recommend installing false ceilings from plasterboard in new buildings, explaining that the house will shrink and the integrity of the finish may be compromised.
Assessing the pros and cons of a plasterboard ceiling, we can conclude that this type of finish has much more advantages than disadvantages. The negative aspects of the material appear only under certain circumstances, the likelihood of which is extremely small.
Stretch ceilings: description and features
Stretch ceiling is a thin and flexible fabric, which is fixed on the starting strips, fixed around the perimeter of the room. PVC film is used as the main material.The maximum width of such a canvas is 1.8 meters.
There are varieties of fabric fabrics, but their cost is much higher than the film version. The use of fabric varieties is attractive because the ceiling can be painted in different colors, even the most complex patterns can be depicted on it.
Considering the types of stretch ceilings, the features and benefits of this type of finish, the main thing can be noted - all varieties of canvases are installed as soon as possible. The work is done quickly, the room after installation does not require general cleaning.
Positive properties of a stretch ceiling
The popularity of stretch fabrics is due to a number of attractive features that this method of decorating ceiling surfaces has been demonstrating for many years.
The main advantages of stretch ceilings include the following properties:
- Attractive appearance. Even the simplest white canvas fits perfectly into any apartment interior. What can we say about varieties with gloss or patterns that can become the main decoration of the room.
- The ability to stretch. This property allows stretch ceilings to successfully compete with gypsum board structures. The latter categorically do not accept contact with water, while the PVC film finish perfectly tolerates moisture. If water leaks from the upper floor, the film web will retain moisture, thereby preserving the integrity of the interior of the room. The material can withstand up to 200liters of liquid. This fact makes many think about what is better - a plasterboard ceiling or a stretch one.
- Easy care. The film ceiling can be regularly wiped with a damp sponge, which allows us to talk about its hygiene.
- No shrinkage, drying out process. Unlike GKL structures, the film ceiling is not prone to cracking, which means that its service life is much longer.
Installation of the hinged canvas is much faster than finishing the ceiling with drywall, which can also be the main argument in favor of PVC film.
Don't forget the flaws
Negative qualities of stretch fabrics are also present. The main one can be called the synthetic origin of the base material. Fabric varieties are considered more environmentally friendly, but they are coated with polyurethane compounds that are far from natural.
Considering the advantages of stretch ceilings and their disadvantages, you should pay attention to a number of the following properties of this type of finish:
- Exposure to temperature. When using stretch fabrics, it is important to choose the right lighting fixtures. The film is afraid of heating, so the lamp power should not exceed 60 watts.
- Difficulty installing fixtures. It is necessary to think over the project for the location of lighting fixtures before mounting the canvas, since holes are made even at the stage of its manufacture. Moreover, the customer will have to pay extra for each such hole.
- Intolerance to contact with sharp objects. Earlier it was said that the film stretches very well, but it does not accept sharp mechanical impacts. Such a ceiling is very easy to damage, and it cannot be restored.
Considering the advantages of plasterboard ceilings, we noted that such structures can be repainted many times. So stretch fabrics cannot boast of this, in which they lose to their counterpart. If you want to change the color of the interior, you will have to order a new canvas.
How about installing both types?
Stretch ceiling or drywall - which is better in terms of ease of installation? The main thing here is to highlight the priorities of the owner. If quick and clean installation is preferred, then PVC film remains the undisputed leader in these matters. Its installation is carried out in 3-4 hours.
Installing a plasterboard ceiling requires proper marking of the base, installation of the frame. Sheets must be cut to the desired size and only then fixed on the base. After mounting the ceiling, all docking points are treated in a special way. As a result, such work takes from 2 to 5 days. After installation of the structure, a lot of dust and scraps of building material remain.
If the main goal is savings, then it is better to give preference to the ceiling from the GKL, since it can be installed on its own. But for the installation of stretch fabrics, special heating equipment and experience insimilar works, since it is very easy to ruin the canvas.
As for labor costs, it is easier to install GKL structures, albeit longer. One master can handle the job. And for the installation of a tension fabric, the simultaneous participation of two people is necessary.
Comparison by cost
The economic component is especially important in any matter, so it will not be superfluous to compare both types of finishes in terms of price characteristics.
So, the cost of a drywall ceiling depends on several factors:
- on the complexity of the design (the presence of curly elements);
- from the number of levels;
- on whose forces the ceiling will be installed.
Installation of the simplest ceiling in one level will cost from 350 rubles per square meter. Additionally, expenses for the purchase of plasterboard, profiles and self-tapping screws are taken into account.
For example, one sheet of drywall of medium thickness (with parameters of 2.5 x 1.2 meters) costs about 175-200 rubles. We add 40% to this figure for additional materials and get the approximate cost of the ceiling. If the installation will be carried out by one's own hands, this price tag will be final.
The cost of stretch fabrics also cannot be called fixed. It depends on which canvas will be used in the process of work and on the number of lighting fixtures. White matte canvases are considered the cheapest. Their price tag starts from 250 rubles per square meter. If you want to install a glossy variety,prepare to pay twice as much.
The estimate for the installation of a stretch ceiling additionally includes making holes, fixing the starting strips around the perimeter of the room and pasting a masking tape. Sometimes new wiring is required. The minimum price tag for the installation of stretch fabrics is 280 rubles per square meter. In this case, saving on the services of specialists will not work.
Which ceiling is better: drywall or stretch? Owner feedback on surface care
The duration of its operation depends on the proper care of the ceiling. In this regard, GKL designs are more finicky, since they do not accept wet cleaning. You can simply shake off the dust from them, and the resulting stains and other contaminants can only be masked under a new layer of paint.
The owners of such structures note that over time, cracks may appear on the surface of the sheet, which are eliminated only by puttying and tinting certain sections of the ceiling.
Film sheets are not afraid of moisture, which makes them easy to clean from dirt.
If the canvas fades over time, you can return it to its original appearance by treating it with a solution of ammonia and water (mixed 1:9).
Judging by the reviews, such canvases have shown themselves remarkably well during operation in bathrooms and kitchens. They tolerate humidity and temperature changes very well.
But dry rooms are optimal for GKL structures. An excellent solution would bedrywall ceiling installation in the bedroom, children's room and living room.
What to look out for
When choosing any finishing material, you should pay attention to its manufacturer. The modern market is simply overflowing with low-quality products, and materials for arranging ceilings have not gone unnoticed by unfortunate manufacturers.
If everything is extremely simple with plasterboard constructions: gypsum and cardboard are always of the same quality, then with stretch fabrics everything is much more complicated. Understanding which ceiling is better (drywall or stretch), it will never be superfluous to study the reviews. Most of them say that it is absolutely not worth buying the cheapest canvases.
Today, on every corner you can see advertisements for super economical stretch ceilings. Many simply cannot resist such profitable, at first glance, offers. In the end, after installing a low-quality canvas, the apartment is filled with an unbearable pungent smell that does not disappear for weeks.
With the windows closed, it becomes impossible to be in such a room. Harmful fumes adversely affect the he alth of households, and people prone to allergic reactions begin to cough, runny nose and red eyes.
To protect your family from such troubles, even at the stage of signing a contract with a service provider, you should check the certificates of conformity of products to uniform standards. This will help protect you from unplanned expenses for the purchase of a new canvas.
So, which ceiling is better: stretch or drywall? There is no single answer to this question. When choosing the best option, you should be based on the following factors:
- microclimate of the room where the installation is planned;
- desired terms of work;
- financial opportunities;
- Expected life of finish.
For rooms with high humidity, only film options are suitable. It is categorically not recommended to consider the possibility of arranging structures made of gypsum plasterboard in these rooms, since their service life in an aggressive environment is significantly reduced.
If environmental friendliness is in the first place, then GKL ceilings are undoubtedly in the lead. In case of unexpected flooding, they will immediately fail, but during operation they will definitely not harm your he alth.