Furniture production is a rather complex technological process that requires the enterprise to have certain equipment and materials. Melamine edges are a material, the use of which is mandatory in the manufacture of home furniture. But what is it and what does it serve?
It is known that the last stage in the production of furniture is the finishing work, which includes the facing of the edges of each element. At the same time, melamine edges are used as the main finishing material. This is done in order to give the furniture an aesthetic appearance, to make its edges more expressive and attractive. Only after passing through such processing, the furniture will be able to satisfy the needs of buyers.
Melamine edging concept
Melamine border is distributed in various widths of decorative strips. It consists of several layers of paper, each of which performs a specific function. So, the first layer is represented by thick decorative paper. Right on itfeatures a pattern that gives the product a neat appearance.
The decorative layer is glued onto the substrate. The substrate is most often made of tissue paper. Depending on how many layers the base consists of, single-layer and multi-layer melamine edges are distinguished.
In order for the edging not only to carry decorative functions, but also to protect the fittings from damage, it is impregnated with special substances - melamine resins. This is where the name of the product comes from. To protect the decorative layer from mechanical damage, as well as to increase the service life of the entire product, the front surface of the edge is treated with a special varnish. In addition, this treatment prevents the melamine resins from evaporating.
Usually, the thickness of the product is less than 0.5mm. A special adhesive-based composition can be applied to the inner surface of the edge, which will allow you to attach the product to the edge of the furniture quickly and efficiently. Melamine edge with glue is an indispensable tool in a furniture factory.
Melamine Product Benefits
Great demand for these products has generated a large supply - in the market of finishing materials you can find a fairly large number of companies that produce these products. There is a fairly large number of materials from which the furniture edge is made. Melamine, PVC, ABS are just the most common furniture finishing materials on the market.
Among all of them, the melamine-based product has a number of advantages due to which it has become so popular. These benefits include:
- A wide range of colors makes it possible to choose an edge that matches perfectly with the material of the furniture.
- There is no need to use special equipment for facing the edges. Which significantly saves production costs.
- The product is environmentally friendly - practically no synthetic materials are used in its manufacture.
- The high elasticity of the product allows it to be used for facing complex curved surfaces.
But, describing melamine edges, one cannot fail to mention the negative aspects of this product. This material is very demanding on operating conditions. Large temperature fluctuations, high humidity, dustiness of the room - all this negatively affects the product and reduces its service life.
Varieties of products
Melamine-based edges, depending on which surface they will be attached to, are divided into three groups:
- Softforming stripe. Softforming is a technology for applying a tape material (edge) to a wood product pre-processed by a milling machine, most often chipboard. Softforming tape is highly elastic, which allows you to hide the joints of the final products.
- F altskant (melamineedge). Fold - a rectangular selection on the edge of the board, a kind of step that can serve for decorative purposes. The edge on these parts of the design should give the product a sense of completion.
- Straight edging. Such a product is used for facing straight flat surfaces. Adhesive can be applied on the inside.