Rabbits are very neat and obedient animals. They can be kept both indoors and outdoors (summer only!). The mentioned animals can easily be trained to live in a cage, but still sometimes you need to let them out for a walk and run around. If you want your rabbit to take a walk in the fresh air, we will help you build a quick, convenient and safe option for temporary housing for the animal, since making your own rabbit cages is much cheaper than buying them. They are easy to clean and disassemble quickly.
How to make cages for rabbits with your own hands. Materials Needed:
- fine mesh roll 1.35m (or more) wide and 8.1m long;
- special latches or clothespins;
- plywood sheet 1, 35x1, 35 m;
- bunny supplies (wooden house, hay, shallow box, toys, bowls and treats);
- frozen water bottles.
How to make cages for rabbits with your own hands. Instruction
- Before you figure out how to make your own rabbit cages, decide exactly where you want to place the cage. It should be as flat as possible, with about the same amount of sunlight and shade so that the rabbits do not overheat. In addition, there should not be strong drafts. Also, when choosing a place, take care of the safety of the rabbit: make sure that wild animals or anything that can frighten the animal cannot get to it.
- Calculate what size the cell should be. Its size directly depends on the size of the rabbit and their number. If you have a lot of rabbits - the cage should be large so that the animals are not crowded and they can play safely. Oh those rabbits! Cages for three rabbits are the most optimal. Even if you have only one pet, make a house, as they say, with a margin. The size of such a cage is 1.35 meters long and 1.35 meters wide. The net should be high enough (0.6-0.8 meters is enough) so that the rabbits cannot get out of it on their own.
- Cut 5.4m of mesh from the roll, making marks every 1.35m. These will be the walls of the future cell. If the mesh is flexible enough, you can simply fold it in two places. In the end, you willa parallelepiped with a square of 1.35x1.35 m at the base. If the mesh is not flexible, cut it into four pieces, each of which will be equal to 1.35 m in length. For these purposes, it is very convenient to use wire cutters. By the way, it is better to work with a grid in gloves. That way you won't hurt your hands. To get a parallelepiped, weld the individual parts or wind them tightly with wire.
- Next, we will make the bottom and roof of the cage. Cut two identical squares 1.35x1.35 m from the mesh roll. Weld one tightly (or tightly wind it with wire) to the workpiece made in the previous paragraph.
- Wind the second square with wire on one side. It should open freely. This will be a kind of door. To prevent the rabbits from opening the cage themselves, make hooks out of wire to which the door will snap into place. Now no one but you can open the cage. Clothespins can be used instead of hooks, but rabbits can chew them.
- Place a sheet of plywood 1, 35x1, 35 meters at the bottom of the cage and fasten it securely. Failure to do so could cause rabbits to get their feet caught in the net and damage them.
- Place a low box in the corner. Put some dirty straw or special litter in there.
- Lay straw at the bottom of the cage. Set out bowls for food and water. It is better to attach them to the bottom of the cage, because rabbits can accidentally turn over the bowls. You can alsoput up a small wooden house. It is advisable to purchase it at a pet store. Place your pet's favorite toys in the cage. Also give him some treats - fresh carrots are great. Place bottles of frozen water next to the cage: it is very hot in summer, and the desired coolness will come from the bottles.
- Now you can let the animal in. Teach your rabbit to walk gradually: on the first day, he can stay in the cage for only 15 - 20 minutes, and then you can increase the intervals. Don't leave your rabbit outside in a cage for more than three days. Naturally, take it home in rainy and windy weather.
This is a rabbit toilet. Since the animals are very clean, it will not be difficult to accustom them to such a toilet.
Now you know how to build a DIY rabbit hutch. Good luck and good he alth to your pet!