Gypsum construction materials today are experiencing a new stage of technological development. They are improved in terms of technical and operational indicators, while maintaining their traditional advantages. Properly performed installation of a partition made of tongue-and-groove slabs (GWP) allows you to carefully zone the room without unnecessary construction waste and at minimal financial cost.
GWP materials for partition walls
Groove-and-groove panels can be considered as a reinforced version of a gypsum facing board, but even in this version, a partition made of such material cannot be a load-bearing one. The basis of the product also contains gypsum (grades G-4 and G-5), fillers and binder additives, and the fundamental differences are in the design. A standard plate of this format is made in the form of a parallelepiped, lower and upperthe sides of which have ridges and grooves for fixing. Why are tongue-and-groove slabs for partition walls better than traditional materials? Firstly, they greatly facilitate installation work due to their low weight and structural additions. Against the background of a brick, the labor intensity of the process is noticeably reduced. Secondly, already during operation, the user receives a wide range of positive properties, such as the natural regulation of temperature and humidity conditions. Common negative effects, which are often attributed to such solutions in terms of light partition devices, are almost all excluded. Quality GWPs do not burn, do not contain toxic or other harmful components, and are not biodegradable.
GWP Partition Structures
From this material it is possible to build partitions in different configurations. In home reconstruction, a simple single form is often used, which performs only the function of zoning without special emphasis on sound and heat insulation. But a dual system is also possible, in which the possibility of internal communication is preserved. If it is required to provide an insulating function, then the resulting cavity will need to be filled with special mixtures or bulk materials. Especially for the installation of partitions from tongue-and-groove plates, soundproof cork gaskets and reinforcing tapes are produced today. The former are laid from the inside and can act as a damping substrate, and the reinforcement elements serve to strengthen the corners of the structure. Moreover, partitions similar to decorative functionsinclusions have no effect. Moreover, if desired, with their help it will be possible to place some design accents by choosing the desired texture.
Preparing the tool for work
To achieve the proper quality of installation work will allow a properly selected set of tools. These include:
- Spatula for finishing operations. It is advisable to use a set of spatulas of different formats.
- Container with putty trowel.
- Nozzle-mixer for mixing putty.
- Rule for plaster work.
- Level or other marking device.
- Kyanka for upsetting installed plates.
Since the installation of partitions made of tongue-and-groove plates may involve working with non-standard structures, you should also prepare for possible adjustments to the material. For cutting PGP, it is recommended to use an electric jigsaw or a hacksaw with a wide blade. To remove the protruding mounting elements, it is worth using a planer, and the surfaces are cleaned with a finely abrasive grinding tool manually.
Putty for installation
To install the slabs and simultaneously prepare the walls and floor for placing the structure, you should use special mounting and putty compounds. The mandatory properties of the mixture include quick setting and holding capacity. That is, it should not be just a levelingclassic putty, namely a kind of adhesive composition, in which there is also a gypsum component. As noted in the instructions, for the installation of partitions from tongue-and-groove plates, the consumption rate of such putty should be calculated in the ratio of 1.5 kg / 1 sq. m. If you calculate by the number of plates of a standard format, then a volume of 1.5 kg should be enough for the installation of 3 plates. As already noted, the solution is prepared using a construction electric drill in a special container. Stir the solution diluted with water with a tool for 10-15 minutes at low speed.
What other mixtures will be required during installation?
In addition to putty, the following construction and assembly mixtures can also be used, depending on the conditions of work:
- Waterproofing mastic. The typical form of this material is a rubber-bitumen emulsion, which should be used with strong moisture effects on the GWP surfaces. Mastic is applied to the outer surfaces, thus creating an insulating water-repellent layer.
- Void filler. This is not about a free niche between two panels, but about the remaining special technological gaps that may form after installation. Sealing is carried out with silicone-based sealants with stable elasticity.
- Glues and grouts. According to the technology of installation of partitions made of tongue-and-groove slabs, the joining between structural elements must be carried out with reinforced adhesives for tiles or stone. Again, a good option would be to use an adhesive that containswater-repellent and other protective components.
- Primer. It is possible that the partition will be decorated after installation with other decorative materials. Applying paint, wallpaper or even tiles requires that the subsurface is in optimal condition. The priming mixture will allow you to correct defects on the surface of the GWP, which could also occur during the installation process.
Laying mounting mortar
Putty is applied in strips along the contours of the future laying of slabs on the wall, floor and ceiling. The thickness of the laid layer should be about 3-5 mm, while it must be borne in mind that the polymerization process in this case lasts no more than 30-45 minutes, depending on the characteristics of the mixture. At the same stage, in order to increase the sound insulation of partitions made of tongue-and-groove plates, a perforated tape is laid on the putty. This is a special elastic lining that provides an additional insulating effect at the joints.
Installation of plates
Direct installation of plates can be done with grooves up or down, but for a better distribution of putty, it is still advisable to use the first option. In this case, all panels from the first row must first have their combs removed. When installing partitions from tongue-and-groove plates, symmetry should be maintained using a level and a rule. The seams must be strictly vertical and horizontal. Also, do not forget that gypsum-based glue hardens quickly, so any manipulations with fixedplates should be made as quickly as possible. It is advisable to limit the front of current work to 1-2 segments.
In some cases, the adhesive method of assembling the partition structure is sufficient. But for greater reliability, it is also recommended to use power fasteners, which are implemented with metal brackets with a thickness of about 1-2 mm. Thus, the technique of rigid adjoining of the partition from tongue-and-groove plates is performed. Do-it-yourself installation of brackets should be carried out to the enclosing structures in special grooves. Fixation is carried out using screw fasteners or dowels with anchors. This is also a way of a kind of reinforcement, which has the disadvantage of making the structure heavier and additional load on the walls.
Final development of the design
There are three tasks to complete at this stage:
- Cleaning from the remnants of applied building mixtures. Excess putty, glue and primer solutions are removed from surfaces with grinding tools and abrasives.
- Strengthening the structure in the corners. External and internal corners should be reinforced with additional elements. Usually, in the installation schemes of partitions made of tongue-and-groove plates, the use of perforated profiles and the aforementioned reinforcing tapes is provided. These are the simplest devices for additional strengthening of the partition, which do not imply intrusion into the structures of the walls or the floor with the ceiling.
- Surface cleaning. After the work doneThe surface must be free from dirt and dust. Further work on the improvement of the partition will depend on the way it is finished.
Additional options when installing a partition
It has already been said that a double plaster partition provides ample opportunities for communications. First of all, we are talking about electrical low-current wiring, which is mounted discreetly in strobes. Even before the construction of a partition from tongue-and-groove plates, it is necessary to think over a scheme with channels for passing electrical routes and prepare the material accordingly. Actually, the work will consist in two stages. Firstly, it will be necessary to make a gating for wiring, followed by termination. Secondly, already for the output of the channel, holes are made in the plates of the desired diameter. It is important to note that in both cases, the use of a percussion tool in relation to GWP is completely excluded.
Gypsum-based slabs used to be mostly used for exterior wall cladding. This made it possible to create even geometric surfaces for accurate laying of the facing material. The possibility of installing partitions made of tongue-and-groove plates also made it possible to change the interior layout, albeit in a simplified design version. Along with retaining aesthetic and structural benefits, HWPs also provide functional benefits. As experts note, in new fortified modifications there may bethe installation of openings is also allowed, which also reduces the number of differences between brick and plaster partitions. At the same time, the advantages of the installation process with the advantages of ergonomics of physical handling and savings on transportation remain entirely behind the tongue-and-groove plates.