Ideally sticking wallpaper with your own hands is quite real. But for this it is necessary to properly prepare the walls. Subject to a number of rules and nuances, you can get a high-quality primed surface for any material. So, what do you need for this?
Preparing the surface
Before you start, you need to clean the surface. We clean off the old coatings, apply putty, and then primer. Only after that we can glue the wallpaper. All these actions are simple and quite easy to do on your own, without resorting to the services of workers and repair companies.
We process the walls
A good primer for plaster walls is the key to success in your work. But you don't need to buy a generic one. And if you decide to glue the wallpaper, then you need a primer under the wallpaper. What is this material? This is a kind of suspension, mixing which, you can get a homogeneous mass of milky shade. It is necessary to apply such a mixture to the walls to create a special film that promotes good adhesion to many building materials. It happensdue to the composition of the soil, as it includes organic resins and various adhesives. And the film is formed due to acrylic, silicone (depending on the composition of the soil), as well as with the help of some polymers. The primer contains various chemical additives, thanks to which it is very plastic.
What should be on the package?
The following information should be here:
- How to properly prepare the mixture, the proportions of the solution.
- Material consumption per 1 m² on average.
- How to apply the composition to the surface.
- How long does the primer on the walls dry.
- Expiration date guaranteed by the manufacturer, as well as production date.
Primer is an important step in the repair. It not only increases the adhesion of materials, but also is a good protection against fungus, mold.
Today there is a huge selection of primers. This solution contains oils, resins, pigments, glue, bitumen and substances that form a special film. Compounds come in several types.
- Dry primer. If you glue the wallpaper yourself, then, having bought such a mixture, you need to dilute the composition with water. The main thing is to read the instructions on how to do this and what is the consumption per 1 m². You also need to consider what kind of surface you have and the fact that the primer is usually applied in several layers.
- Liquid primer. It costs a little more than dry. The liquid primer is already ready for use and does not need to be diluted with water. As part of heruniversal fillers available.
- Acrylic primer universal. The composition includes acrylic polymers. This material can be used for different surfaces. Acrylic is suitable for surfaces such as drywall, wood, concrete, plastered, painted, asbestos cement walls. Application requires a brush or roller.
If the primer thickens, add water, but just a little. How long does the primer dry on the walls? The material dries very quickly (within two to three hours). This mixture is odorless, which is very important, especially for small spaces.
If you are going to wallpaper on a concrete surface, then the choice should fall on the solution - the so-called alkyd primer, since acrylic cannot protect against corrosion. This mixture is used as a protective coating. Therefore, for a concrete surface, if there are any metal elements on it, an alkyd primer is an ideal choice. The material can be applied not only to concrete and metal coatings, but also to wood, glass and fiberboard surfaces. It dries longer than acrylic - about 15 hours. Under the wallpaper, the primer for the walls is taken with a chromatic base.
Preparing the foundation
Before you paste the wallpaper, find out a number of important questions. What soil to choose? How to determine the right type and when can I start gluing the material?
- If there is a trace of plaster or traces of white plaque on the wall, then for such a surface you need a chalk-based material withdeep penetration ability.
- Need to know if there is a dense old layer on the surface to be primed or not. This can be tested with water. Then observe how quickly the liquid is absorbed. If slowly, then such a surface is primed several times.
- If there is a fungus on the surface, then the soil must be antifungal. It is desirable to apply it both under the plaster and on top. This will help prevent the spread of mold.
- If the surface is sufficiently porous or loose, then you need to purchase a primer with high adhesion. In addition, it is necessary to treat the surfaces with compounds that have the property of penetrating deeply.
How to calculate the purchased material?
To do this:
- Calculate the area of the surface to be wallpapered.
- Primers should be taken 1.5 times more than the result of calculating the area of the wallpaper. This amount of primer is only suitable for one coat.
- Before buying, study the instructions. Find out how much flow is needed and how quickly this mixture dries.
- Buy a bucket, roller, brush, paint grid, construction goggles, rubber gloves for primer.
It should be remembered that each layer must dry well and only after that it is possible to apply the next one. The soil layer will be smooth, while it sticks to the hands a little. Start applying the material from top to bottom. First, we cover the floors with something so that the solution does not get in, since then it will be difficult to remove it from the surface.
Why do you need a primer
It forms a good cohesion of differentmaterials. Displaces air, which eliminates the possibility of bubbles under the wallpaper. Creates an excellent base for the adhesive composition. It reduces the consumption of glue, which saves a lot of money. Prevents the appearance of fungus, mold, any bacteria. Creates high adhesion in difficult places.
This comes in handy in corners and joints. In addition, the primer smooths out some flaws in the pasted surface. Thanks to this remarkable property, the primer allows you to glue the wallpaper with the greatest comfort. This product has another good feature. The primed surface continues to "breathe", which maintains the microclimate of your home.
Priming walls before painting
Almost everyone is faced with repairs, which means they are faced with the choice of building materials. What to choose - wallpaper or wall paint, or maybe both? Having chosen all the same paint, it is worth thinking about preparing the wall for its application. Qualitatively painted surfaces always look beautiful and stylish, besides they give the room a unique comfort. The wall looks aesthetically pleasing, has no joints. The main thing is to carry out the preparatory work correctly:
- Wash walls with hot soapy water.
- Putty all the bumps.
- Check problem areas. How is the primer of the walls before the wallpaper? If there is lagging plaster, then it should be removed and puttied.
- Use only quality gypsum putty.
- Let the surface dry well.
- Sand the surface with medium grit sandpaper.
- Brush off accumulated dust.
- Prime the walls, carefully smearing the joints of the walls and ceiling.
You should not neglect such an important step as priming the walls before wallpapering. Since this can lead to many difficulties and problems in the future. What are the benefits of priming a surface? Reviews highlight the following benefits:
- primer increases the adhesion of walls and coated materials;
- saves glue or paint;
- prevents mold or mildew;
- makes it easier to apply paint to the surface;
- easy to apply;
- dries quickly.
Now you can buy different types of materials at an affordable price. A wide range is another advantage.
Priming or not?
To the question: "Do I need to apply primer before plastering?" - one answer: yes. The above article describes all the advantages of the soil. It is necessary to apply a primer under plaster to increase adhesion, as well as to prevent the appearance of fungus or mold. In addition, the primer prevents the appearance of cracks and detachments. This material can save you from rework in the future. In the case of plaster, a quality primer will also save materials, which is always good for your pocket. There is another important factor: this mixture prolongs the service life of finishing building materials. The main thing is to determine what kind of soil you need. Consider the type of surface you will be on.apply. If you can't make up your mind, there is a sales assistant in every store willing to help you.
Like any product, the price here is different. On sale there are soils from different manufacturers. Each of them has its own quality and volume. It is important to understand what result you expect in the end and how much you can afford. There are budget options for walls made of concrete or brick. They do not absorb soil very much, so the consumption on such a surface is small. The price of a primer for walls is 250 rubles per ten liters. If you take deep penetration material, then it costs from 450 rubles per ten liters. Such a price may be due to the fact that often the composition includes disinfectants, antiseptics.
Of course, there are more expensive soil from well-known manufacturers and the highest quality. It is not recommended to save on quality. It is also necessary to take into account that the workers who will perform all the ground work will also have to pay extra. This can seriously hit your pocket. But applying the soil mixture is so simple that you can easily do without outside help. After studying the instructions on how to properly dilute the mixture, and dressed in work clothes, prepare the surface using the information above. And then, with a gentle movement of your hand, apply primer in several layers. Feel the pleasure of being a jack-of-all-trades and you can do anything!
So we figured out howpriming walls before wallpapering.