In the review we will talk about how to dismantle heating radiators? The battery itself is a sectional heater made of cast iron, steel or aluminum. Assembly disassembly may be required to replace defective components or to upgrade and improve heating efficiency.
Where to start?
Dismantling of heating radiators begins with the descent of the working fluid from the circuit. This operation is not as easy to do as it might seem at first glance. First you need to properly connect the drain hose, then open the tap. If you make a mistake at this stage, the result will be flooding of the apartment and neighbors.
If you have independent heating, it will not be difficult to drain the coolant. This is largely due to the fact that special permits and coordination of work with neighbors will not be required. Even if unforeseen circumstances arise, they will not cause big problems.
The stages of work include the following:
- Turn off the heating boiler.
- Waiting to cool completelycoolant.
- Cover the cold water make-up fittings.
- Opens the provided atmospheric valves, which must necessarily be in the indicated designs.
- Connect the hose at the lowest point of the system.
- Under the output put a container suitable in size and volume.
- Open the tap to drain the liquid.
After all the coolant has left the system, you can begin to replace or dismantle the heating radiators. All operations can be carried out independently, without the participation of specialists.
It is somewhat more difficult to dismantle the heating radiator screen in the presence of a "warm floor" system. When draining the coolant to the inlet pipe, you will need to connect a compressor designed to displace liquid under pressure. If only one battery needs to be replaced, it is not necessary to bleed the refrigerant from the entire system. The main thing is that there is a special valve on the element being processed. This will allow you to remove the liquid from a specific radiator, without the need to dismantle other devices.
Experts recommend to pre-calculate the possibility of liquid discharge from individual sections, by installing the required number of valves and valves. In order to avoid problems when draining water, you need to worry about a vessel of a suitable volume in advance. In some cases, the liquid is discharged directly outside using a long hose.
Dismantling of heating radiators in the apartment
Draincoolant in an apartment building is much more complicated than in an autonomous system. Before disassembling and dismantling the radiator, it will be necessary to free the entire riser from the water, serving the apartments along one vertical line. To do this, it is necessary to coordinate actions with the company responsible for maintaining the heating networks of an apartment building.
After obtaining the appropriate permission, they begin to drain the water, while taking into account that the liquid is drained from a segment of the network, while in a private house this procedure affects the entire system. The process is carried out in different ways, depending on the type of fittings installed.
When dismantling old heating radiators with a Mayevsky faucet, you will need to unscrew the key with a plastic handle or use a slotted screwdriver. The rest of the procedure consists of the following steps:
- The side opening on the drain valve must be covered as it often points towards the wall. Dirty water can just make it dirty.
- Then a suitable container is placed under the drain hole, the screw is opened until a hiss appears, which will soon disappear.
- Next, unscrew the screw until water appears from the hole. Thus, part of the air will leave with the liquid.
- When the jet stabilizes, the valve of the system is tightened.
- Connect a hose of the required length to the valve so that it is enough to the sewer.
- Open the faucet all the way to create a strong internal flow.
- When dismantling a cast-iron heating radiator after unscrewing the nut, you need to ensureso that the gasket does not leak.
If the design does not provide for shutoff valves, it is better to entrust the work to professionals. The cost depends on the region of residence and the number of batteries. For example, the dismantling of a cast-iron heating radiator (in rubles) will cost about one thousand for each riser. If the procedure is carried out in summer, the cost will be 20-25% cheaper.
Despite the fact that it is more difficult to manipulate radiators in an apartment building than in your own house, you should not give up. The easiest way to disassemble the system is with new type radiators, which are equipped with the involvement of competent engineering solutions and communications, in which it is possible to drain the refrigerant from the contour unit without affecting the common riser.
The shut-off valves at the radiator inlet are closed beforehand, stopping the supply of liquid to some parts of the system, while the circulation of the coolant as a whole does not stop. If the design provides outlet valves, a hose is connected to them, through which water is drained.
With one-pipe counterparts, the process looks a little different. To begin with, the shut-off element on the bypass is opened, used to replace parts of the circuit. Only then close the taps on both sides of the radiator. After that, proceed to disconnect the battery from the heating system. It is worth noting that this procedure is quite noisy, so you need to choose the appropriate time, as well as warn the neighbors. After installing a new unitcheck all gaskets and seal joints to prevent leaks.
Dismantling new type heating radiators
Connection and disassembly of individual sections of bimetal or aluminum is performed using the upper and lower nipple nuts. The last elements are O-rings with external threads on both ends. The inside of the part is equipped with a special groove, which serves to fix a special radiator-type key. This tool allows the battery to close or open individual sections.
Before self-disassembly of aluminum units, it is necessary to prepare the required tools and inventory. The main role in the process will be played by the nipple key. The device is a steel bar about 0.7 meters long, on one edge of which a working element with dimensions of 24/40 mm is welded, and a through hole is made on the other side. The metal rod makes it possible to significantly simplify the process of unwinding the nuts
Self-disassembly of bimetallic batteries
The key for dismantling heating radiators has several notches, which are made based on the step of one section in width. Further steps for self-disassembly of the battery are as follows:
- Determine the direction in which the key will need to be rotated.
- The battery is placed on the surface so that the front side is on top. In this case, the left thread will be located on the left, and the right thread, respectively, on the right.
- In a simplified version, take the nipple, putting it on alternately on both sides. If handedness is not observed, manipulation is fraught with thread stripping and section failure.
- On foreign counterparts, plugs and other fittings are marked with the letters S (left) and D (right).
Disassembly of the right side bimetal battery
In this case, the dismantling of the heating radiator screen is carried out according to the following scheme:
- The key is inserted in such a way that the working part ("blade") enters the hole from above, followed by fixation in a special groove.
- With some force, the tool is turned counterclockwise until the nut is displaced from its place.
- Then use the rod mentioned above. It fits inside the nipple wrench ring. Such a lever will make it possible to facilitate a process that requires considerable physical strength.
- After two full turns, move to the bottom of the battery, repeat the operation again.
- The key is re-fixed from above, the sequence of actions continues until the segment is completely unscrewed.
This sequence minimizes the possibility of thread distortion.
Assembly and extension of sections
After the dismantling of heating radiators, the assembly of new fixtures will be required. Bimetal and aluminum modifications are processed as follows:
- Sections are placed on a perfectly flat area. Check all threaded connections and gaskets for chips or cracks.
- All connections clearfrom dirt, using fine-grained sandpaper. If you plan to build batteries, the ends are cleaned to a shine.
- The end parts are degreased with gasoline or thinner. Gaskets are washed in soapy water.
- The sections are connected by putting a paronite seal on the nipple nut. Parts are attached on both sides, the key is inserted into the upper hole and turned 2-3 times without using the lever.
- In the same way, turn the nipple nuts from below. The load must reach the degree of the stopper of the key, after which it finally reaches out with the help of a lever. Excessive force should not be applied, since aluminum is quite soft, it can be damaged along the thread.
After dismantling the heating radiator, the installation of a new unit is carried out according to the indicated scheme. A plug is placed on the remaining hole, and on the reverse side is a Mayevsky tap, which serves to bleed excess air.
Maintenance of cast iron modifications
In old living quarters, there are often cast-iron batteries of the MS-140 type. Their assembly is also carried out using gasket seals and nipple nuts. It is quite difficult to disassemble the old models, since during the period of long-term operation, the sections on the joints become attached due to rust. In such situations, the key slots are corroded by the refrigerant.
In addition, when dismantling sections of cast-iron heating radiators, one should remember the impressive mass of the material used. One 12-elementthe battery will have a weight of at least 90 kilograms, it is very difficult to cope with such a device alone. To perform the work, you will need the following tools:
- special nipple wrench;
- device for unscrewing plugs and futorok;
- small sledgehammer, chisel;
- steel-backed brush;
- wood bars used for laying the radiator on the surface.
The key is a metal rod, which has a round configuration and is flattened on one side. The diameter of the device is 18-20 millimeters. The flattened part has a thickness of 6 mm, its dimensions are 28x40 mm. On the opposite side of the rod, a ring is welded for threading the lever. The length of the radiator key is half the length of a 12-section radiator plus 300 millimeters.
It is sometimes very difficult to disconnect stuck joints between sections. In some cases, even enviable physical strength is not enough. In such cases, a blowtorch or a building hair dryer is used to warm up the joints.
The sequence of actions for dismantling cast-iron radiators is carried out in the following steps:
- The material is heated until a raspberry-colored glow appears. Then proceed to the main work.
- Turn out the plugs.
- The radiator key is brought to the top of the battery, the tool head should be on the compartment for unscrewing the nipple nut. Withthe end of the section mark with chalk the circle of placement of the rod.
- The flattened end of the tool is inserted into the lower inner groove. Then the key is turned in the required direction until it reaches the left mark.
Before performing these manipulations, it is necessary to decide in which direction to twist the sections. If the design provides for a nipple nut, it is alternately screwed on the right and left ends, which makes it possible to calculate the direction of rotation of the nipple. If movement is noticeable along the thread, it is not necessary to perform full twisting immediately. To avoid distortions, you need to turn the upper and lower element one turn in turn.
Summarizing, it can be noted that before removing and disassembling the battery, the coolant should be properly drained from the system. In addition, it is important to determine the direction of rotation of the sections. All manipulations must be done with caution. At the same time, special building skills are not required, only suitable tools, accuracy and attention are needed. If you follow these recommendations and follow the safety rules, it is quite possible to carry out the operation in question on your own. For those who are not confident in their abilities, it is better to turn to professionals. It is noteworthy that the prices for the dismantling of heating radiators in the summer are cheaper, and the heating is turned off during this period, which greatly simplifies the workflow.