Large home flowers look great in any interior. They are mainly used as free-standing compositions. The advantage of ornamental plants with large flowers and leaves is that they are ideal for rooms where there is not enough sunlight. In addition, they grow well away from windows. The main thing is to arrange the plants taking into account their characteristics. Properly placed indoor flowers will make the interior unique and special.
Flowers with big leaves
Basically, all flowers are homemade with large leaves, photos of some of them are in the article, they are unpretentious, grow quickly and fit perfectly into any room:
- Aspidistra is a rather resistant plant. Easily tolerates temperature changes, rare watering. Helps to purify the air from harmful substances. Due to the high content of chlorophyll, it grows well in dark rooms. Leaves in the form of a long ellipse are located on petioles. There is practically no stem. Blooms veryrare.
- Maranta. The peculiarity of this plant is striped variegated leaves with a smooth edge, which fold at night. Blooms quite rarely.
- Anthurium. Another name for a home flower with large leaves is a flamingo flower, very beautiful, but poisonous. The appearance is glossy and similar to artificial, has a white or red color.
- Sheffler has an unusual shape. The oval oval leaves emerging from one center are arranged in the form of an open umbrella. They are plain or with speckles, or stripes of a light shade. In care unpretentious. Prefers bright diffused light, regular spraying and watering. Doesn't like drafts. It should be remembered that the plant is toxic to pets.
- Calathea has beautiful large leaves reaching gigantic sizes. Combines many species.
- Abutilone has the shape of a small tree or shrub. It reaches two meters in height. Orange, white, pink or yellow flowers are bell-shaped. Easy to care for, grows fast.
- Alocasia is a domestic flower with large leaves, for which it is also called "elephant's ear". The plant looks great in large rooms. It reaches a height of one and a half meters, rarely blooms.
- Avocado. In the home environment, it is given the shape of a bush, grows up to a meter. The dark green leaves are narrow, elliptical in shape and approximately 25 cm long.
- Ficus is a plant with large leaves, unpretentious care. It needs moderate regular watering,spraying. Large leaves are wiped with a damp cloth. Must be protected from drafts. There is a legend that he brings happiness and prosperity to the house. Different types of this plant successfully fit into the interior. And in ficus Benjamin, the trunks are originally twisted into a spiral.
- Dieffenbachia. She has large spotted, multi-colored leaves. Prefers moisture and warmth. The flowers are inconspicuous, white-green. Grows up to a meter in height. Toxic. The lower leaves die off with age, and the trunk becomes bare, so the plant needs to be rejuvenated.
When choosing a home flower with large green leaves, you should consider that some flowering species have poisonous flowers or fruits, and also have a strong aroma.
These are hardy plants with beautiful leaves. Feel good in partial shade. They prefer high humidity, the lack of moisture adversely affects the plant. The most common indoor palms are:
- Decorative species: Robelena - has a dense beautiful crown. Grows up to one and a half meters in height; date finger - grows rapidly, the lower leaves gradually fall off and the trunk of the palm tree is exposed.
- Canarian date - has hard feathery leaves. Stems are thin. Growing fast.
Hovea Forster is famous for its green long leaves, curved in an arc. Grows slowly, tolerates dry air well.
- Homedorea graceful blooms quite beautifully and has a pleasant aroma. Yellowish flowers are spherical, small. Leavesplants should be protected from direct sunlight.
- The areca reaches a height of three meters. It has beautiful feathery leaves. Easy to care for.
Clianas - large house flowers
The flower names below are climbing, hardy plants with flexible stems and large, fleshy leaves:
- Monstera. With good care, unusual carved leaves reach a length of about 90 cm. For successful growth, the plant needs to create the appropriate conditions: a lot of space, aerial roots should be placed in bags with earth. The plant saturates the room with oxygen. Being a creeper, it can be placed both vertically and horizontally. Monstera prefers bathing and foliar spraying, as well as moderate watering. Partial shade tolerates easily.
- Cissus. Due to its rapid growth and unpretentious care, it is widely used for compositions.
- Hoya is a flowering plant with a specific aroma. Liana is unpretentious in care, undemanding to transplants, fertilizing and watering. Grows very slowly. For abundant flowering requires good lighting. The flowers are white or pinkish, the leaves are oval, fleshy. In an adult plant, matte, and in a young one, they are shiny.
- Syngonium. The owner of flexible and thin stems. The leaves resemble an arrowhead. Liana is unpretentious in care, cleans the air of harmful substances: formaldehyde and xylene.
Large home flowers: photos and names
Below are the most beautiful plants grown inhome conditions, and their brief description:
- Cypress, it is called an analogue of home spruce. It has an unobtrusive pine aroma that can lift your spirits.
- Olive tree. It is necessary to constantly cut, forming a crown as desired. Weak branches are removed. For good growth, a certain temperature and humidity are required, it does not tolerate waterlogging of the soil.
- Lemon - has a citrus aroma and yellow fruits, grows up to a meter. The leaves remain green all year round. The plant needs to be watered twice a day. In addition, the plant should be exposed to direct sunlight for at least two hours a day. In the spring, the tree is fed and pruned.
- Prickly pear is a large cactus. Blooms very beautifully.
- Araucaria variegated or it is also called room spruce. She has awl-shaped needles bent upwards, the length of which is about 2 cm. The branches are arranged in horizontal tiers. After forty years, scaly leaves appear. The appearance changes and it is impossible to recognize the original plant in it. The change of outfit explains its name - multi-leaved. At home, the height does not exceed two meters.
- Fatsia. If she is provided with such conditions as moderate watering, coolness and good lighting, then she will thank with huge wide beautiful leaves. Shoots grow to a height of one and a half meters. The flowers are beige with a pleasant smell.
- Croton. The leaves of this flower have a wide palette of shades: green, yellow, red, orange. Saturated colors become from bright sunlightSveta. However, it should be remembered that the plant does not like dry air, heat and direct sunlight.
- Spurge refers to succulents. Grows very slowly. Looks great in any interior.
- Boxwood is a shade-loving evergreen. The leaves are shiny, round, dark green. The flowers are small orange and very fragrant. Demanding for abundant infrequent watering.
- Laurel. A rather unpretentious plant, it is not afraid of frosts.
- Euonymus has dark green jagged or spotted leaves. Tolerates drought well. It grows quickly, so frequent pruning is necessary. The flowers have a not very pleasant aroma.
Large home flowers (the names and photos of some of them are given above) harmoniously fit into any interior and delight the eye.
You can turn the interior of an apartment into a greenhouse with the help of giant plants. Large potted plants are great for this:
- Ficus is an evergreen tree. Grows up to two meters. The bark is smooth, the trunk is short, the crown is branched, the fleshy leaves are oval and slightly pointed. Prefers diffused sunlight, loose earth, moist air.
- Nolina is unpretentious at home. It has a very unusual appearance, resembling a bottle, thanks to the stem swollen at the base. People call it "elephant's foot". Blooms quite rarely. They contain it in wide, low containers, on the bottom, which has high-quality drainage.
- Yucca - prefers warmth, light.Does not tolerate drafts. It is better to place it on the south side and provide direct sunlight for three hours daily. The frequency of watering depends on the season, temperature, room humidity, flower size and pot size.
- Banana. He is able not only to grow at home, but also to bloom.
If home flowers are in large pots, then you can play with scales. They are best placed symmetrically, for example, on both sides of a sofa or chair. Or create a unique composition using pots of different shapes and sizes. Thanks to the built-in wheels in large pots, there will be no problem with their movement.
Large flowering plants
The following plants are the most popular:
- Hibiscus, or Chinese rose, is a domestic flower with large, red, bell-shaped flowers. A vigorously flowering plant produces many shoots, they need to be cut off periodically. On a tree-like trunk are large bright green leaves. The main care is top dressing, frequent and abundant watering, spraying and pruning.
- Hippeastrum indoor during flowering fascinates with its beauty. However, it blooms once a year and pleases those around it with huge flowers in the form of stars, reaching a diameter of 20 cm. The inflorescence is an umbrella. The color scheme of the funnel-shaped flowers is varied and includes the following shades: white, red, purple, pink, yellow. The smell is practically absent, which allows them to be bred by individuals prone to allergic reactions.
- Jasmine gardenia is a house flower with large white flowers and a delicate fragrance. There are also other colors, but mostly the flowers are snow-white, up to 10 cm in diameter.
Hymenocallis - the flowers of this plant are shaped like a lily or a narcissus. The flowers are mostly snow-white, fragrant with large arachnid pale yellow petals and trembling stamens. In one inflorescence up to eight white flowers, about 20 cm in diameter
Advantages and disadvantages of large indoor plants
In order to decide on the choice of large house flowers, consider their pros and cons. Of the latter, the following are distinguished:
- Flowers can be toxic.
- Some flowers have a strong specific scent and require a well-ventilated area.
- Taking up a lot of space.
- The stem and trunk of some plants contain poisonous milky juice.
Pros of large houseplants:
- Hides flaws. With the help of a sprawling plant, elements that spoil the appearance of the room, such as wall defects, are masked.
- Moisture. Improving the indoor climate is carried out by evaporating moisture from a home flower with large leaves.
- Decorative. Large trees and creepers will decorate any interior.
- Originality. Many plants have an unusual appearance, in addition, you can independently form a crown, giving it bizarre shapes.
- Accommodation. They look great asgroups, as well as individually. The main thing is to consider the compatibility of plants.
Some features when choosing large plants
To place home large flowers (photo below) in the form of a tree or shrub, free space is required where the flower will feel comfortable. Proper care is needed for growth and flowering:
- pest protection.
Before choosing a large flower, you need to make sure that there will be no difficulties with its placement, and there will be enough space in the room. The best place is a corner of the room that protects the plant from damage, drafts and is lit by daylight. The flower near the sofa or bed also looks beautiful. If the room has large ceilings, then indoor flowers are ideal, which are not afraid of pruning and grow up to two or more meters. In addition, you should decide in advance on the type of plant:
- evergreen shrub;
- flower with large leaves;
- blooming or fruiting.
Large houseplants can be easy to care for or fussy, fast growing or very slow growing. In addition, some beautiful plant species are poisonous or capable of causing allergic reactions by emitting a strong fragrance.
Features of caring for large indoor plants
Adequate packaging is required for large indoor flowers. For example, for palm trees, it should be somewhat less than thisnecessary for such a large flower, because the small volume of the pot helps to stimulate the growth of new shoots. Climbing plants also need small containers. The main thing is to have roots in the ground. If hanging roots are located far from the root system, then they are placed in earthen bags.
Fill the pot with light, well-permeable water and air soil. In flower shops, you can buy a ready-made mixture, depending on the type of flower, or cook it yourself. To do this, take in equal parts:
- and leaf ground.
Drainage is placed in the container, using pebbles, bricks, crushed stone, expanded clay, polystyrene for this. Next, pour the soil.
Large flowers at home do not require frequent watering. At the same time, do not overdry them. In winter, the frequency of watering is reduced. For hibernating plants, it is recommended to reduce the air temperature in the room where they are located. From time to time, plants need spray irrigation.
Spring is fertilized, during this period, plants need nitrogen, as the vegetative system is growing. Fertilizers containing a large amount of potassium and phosphorus are necessary for the formation of ovaries, as well as flowering.
Diseases mainly affect indoor plants in case of improper care. To combat dropsy, rust, spider mites, rot, powdery mildew, the diseased flower is isolated and treated using ready-made products or a self-made solution of laundry soap.
Homemade plant food
For this you will need:
- fruit peel;
- onion peel;
- meat slop;
Used black tea brewing and spent coffee added to the pot with the plant will keep the soil loose. To feed the plant with vitamins, peels from apples, bananas and oranges are suitable. They are pre-crushed, insisted in water and then watered. Perfectly saturates the soil with calcium and provides good drainage eggshell. You can disinfect the soil and feed the plant with phosphorus, zinc, potassium, iron and magnesium by dissolving one spoonful of ash in a liter of water. Enhances plant growth with a freshly prepared mixture of yeast, onions and vegetables.
In general, many large houseplants are easy to grow and even beginners can grow. However, there are also very capricious plants, the care of which will require certain knowledge and time.