A necessary and indispensable material in the repair of any structures, including wooden ones, is a sealant. But how do you choose the best acrylic sealant and what properties of the material to focus on when choosing?
Purpose of sealants and what to consider when choosing
The main purpose of the material:
- sealing joints and crevices in wooden floors, walls, etc.;
- protection of end parts of wooden structures;
- processing joints of any parts;
- fill cracks;
- other repairs.
The building materials market is full of all kinds of sealants for various purposes. Sometimes such an abundance of compositions leads to a stupor, because the buyer does not always know which option to choose.
When choosing an acrylic sealant for wood, please note:
- intended place of use and type of surface. They produce compositions for outdoor and indoor use, for universal use, for windows, roofs, etc.;
- environmental features and factorsacting on a structure treated with acrylic grease. From the general group, heat-resistant, fire-resistant, sanitary and compositions are distinguished, the list of which is only replenished;
- composition of the sealant.
Acrylic VS Silicone: Key Differences
Many people ask: "Is acrylic sealant better than silicone sealant and what is the reason for this factor?" Naturally, there were some differences, but they are as follows:
- Limited scope of silicone sealant. We are talking about budget options for silicone acid lubricants, which sometimes react with the treated surface: metal, cement-containing surface, natural stone (marble, granite). Therefore, the choice of composition must be approached more carefully. Builders recommend, giving preference to this option, use it only on plastic, ceramic or wooden surfaces. While acrylic-based gels are devoid of such a disadvantage. They are boldly called universal, since, regardless of the material being processed, they do not harm the structure.
- Aesthetically, acrylic sealants are better. On top of them, you can apply any paint that will lie flawlessly and will adhere well to the surface. Another plus is that the composition based on acrylic does not become cloudy and does not turn yellow over time, compared to silicone.
- Possibility of use in rooms with a high level of moisture. When choosing which sealant for an acrylic bath is best suited,the owners are faced with a difficult task: which of the compositions to give preference to? According to customer reviews, it is not difficult to understand that most choose silicone compounds, which are famous for their moisture resistance. Not sure which acrylic bathtub sealant to choose? Here it is worth considering the fact that silicone, under the influence of moisture, including sanitary, after some time changes color from transparent to yellowish with a cloudy tint, and sometimes even becomes moldy. The components contained in the composition of the acrylic lubricant inhibit the development of fungus, which makes it undoubtedly better for use in conditions of high humidity.
Expert opinion and customer reviews about sealants
During the entire period of evolution of building sealants it is difficult to remember the number of names and types of materials that were presented on the market. Some of them are long gone from store shelves, while others have been top sellers for decades.
When choosing a sealant for wood, as buyers write, first of all pay attention to the price-quality ratio, which is determined by the brand. The loud name of the company, supported by the reputation, speaks of quality. That is why buyers prefer reliable manufacturers, as can be seen from the reviews studied on the Web.
Many people refuse the classic and familiar option - silicone sealant, speaking of the acrylic composition as one of the best. A wide range of products makes the product an advantage topurchase, because the client has the opportunity to choose a sealant for any type of surface, which is beneficial.
According to experts, acrylic compounds, due to their merits, are slowly replacing silicone ones, as can be seen from the recommendations of customers who have already tried using such a lubricant.
In general, reviews of acrylic sealants are positive, and buyers note good adhesion to the surface, quality and price of the product, making it an advantage in choice.
Which sealant to use for wood?
Depending on the component composition, there are four groups of sealants used for working with wood:
Features of acrylic-based wood sealer
This type of sealant is often used for interior work with wood - it is the preferred choice. Unlike other compositions, it lends itself well to painting with acrylic-containing paints or varnish, which is important for interior decoration and room design.
The tool is moisture resistant and not waterproof. The first option is more popular, as it is more actively used in repairs and is not afraid of negative factors. In addition, waterproof lubricants bond porous surfaces well. Compared to a waterproof sealant, the second one is much more capricious and is not suitable for all types of work. When working with this type of material, it is worth paying attention to some distinctivecharacteristics. Non-moisture resistant acrylic sealant does not tolerate moisture, and if even a small amount of water enters, the formed seam begins to disintegrate. In addition, it is susceptible to low temperatures. Despite this, even such a material is characterized by some advantages, including complete safety for the human body and no smell. Among the shortcomings, the property of reduced elasticity is distinguished.
The main purpose of acrylic sealant for wooden surfaces is to fill cracks and seams, which in the future, without timely processing, will succumb to deformation loads.
Features of the sealant "Accent 117"
This is a multifunctional lubricant designed for outdoor use for inter-panel sealing in joints with a deformation of up to 15% and for forming an inner layer as a vapor barrier lubricant when installing window structures.
Accent sealant application area
Acryl-containing lubricant is used:
- when carrying out repairs (external and internal);
- in the construction and renovation of real estate;
- in IZHS;
- for long-term sealing of interpanel joints in building structures with deformability up to 15%, regardless of the nature of the work to be done;
- for sealing the inner layers of the seams of window, balcony, internal structures;
- for sealing seam roofs, joints, cracks, holes, ventilation joints.
Propertiesand material features
Accent acrylic sealant has high adhesion to concrete, foam concrete, brick, stone, wood, metal surfaces, as well as plaster and PVC.
Besides this, it is characterized by:
- high vapor barrier;
- possibility of surface treatment: painting or plastering;
- can be applied to damp (but not wet) surfaces;
- availability for application on horizontal, vertical, inclined surfaces;
- property of long-term sealing of cracks in building structures with a deformability of 15%, which makes the material the preferred choice.
How to choose a lubricant for joints of concrete structures?
Insulation of the roof and facade elements is not complete without a special sealant on an organosilicon or polysulfide liquid viscous rubber base. Such lubricants are characterized by resistance to temperature extremes in a wide range - -55 … + 80 ˚С. Familiarize yourself with the features of joint compounds for outdoor work.
Species diversity of mixtures
Sealants are classified by type, based on the type of base that happens:
Since the topic of the article is devoted to acrylic sealants, we will dwell on this type of lubricant in more detail, specifying information about sealants for joints in concrete.
With the help of this composition it is easy to get rid ofcracks in concrete, smooth joints in the floor, windows, walls. The only drawback of acrylic joint sealant is its low elasticity, which makes the material unsuitable for interior work.
Of the positive qualities of the composition, they note:
- easy bonding to porous surfaces due to increased sealant adhesion;
- no bad smell;
- component composition that does not include any kind of solvents;
- extensive range and choice of pigmented sealant that does not differ in color from the treated surface;
- possibility of coloring, varnishing after complete curing of the lubricant.
Of the characteristics of the material, the need to apply to an exceptionally dry surface and the difficulty of working with sealant at low temperatures are mentioned.
Having studied the features of the types of sealants described above and familiarized with the details of the use of the material, it remains only to say that the choice is only up to the buyer, but positive reviews, unique characteristics and availability of the material make it the preferred choice for any construction work.