To ensure the safety of the population, the use of fire extinguishers is provided. As you know, they are different. Their use depends on the nature of the fire. In this article you can get acquainted with the OU-2 carbon dioxide fire extinguisher.
Everyone knows that fire extinguishers are used to fight fires. Therefore, from their name it is already clear what they are used for. It should only be noted that their use is aimed at eliminating fires caused by the ignition of materials, the combustion of which is impossible without air. That is, we can conclude that the OU-2 carbon dioxide fire extinguisher supplies carbon dioxide to the flame, thereby ceasing its existence.
Having considered the purpose of these devices for extinguishing fires, here are some examples of situations in which carbon dioxide fire extinguishers OU-1, OU-2 are used:
- fires in facilities where there is a large amount of paper and other similar materials (for example, a library, art gallery, archive);
- fires,caused by vehicle fires (they also include electrified vehicles: trams, trolleybuses, electric locomotives);
- ignition of liquid substances that do not dissolve in water;
- fires at electrical installations, the voltage of which is up to 10 thousand volts.
Each specific fire extinguisher model has its own characteristics. They are written in government documents. However, despite the variety of models, there are some criteria that are inherent in all carbon dioxide fire extinguishers. Among them:
- Duration of release of fire extinguishing agent (OTS) (portable carbon dioxide fire extinguisher OU-2 - 6-10 seconds, mobile - 15-20 seconds).
- The length of the OTS jet (portable - 2-3 meters, mobile - more than 4 meters).
- Operating temperature (from -40 ˚С to +50 ˚С).
- Pressure in the fire extinguisher (15 MPa).
Characteristics of the OU-2 carbon dioxide fire extinguisher determine some features of their application. Namely:
- The use of fire extinguishers is designed to extinguish fires of classes B (flammable liquids), C (flammable gases), E (electrical equipment);
- keeping a safe distance while extinguishing electrical equipment (at least 1 meter from the source of fire);
- it is dangerous to use this type of fire extinguisher when eliminating fires of class A (solid combustible substances), D (substances that burn without oxygen);
- the difference is also a careful attitude toextinguished object, since carbon dioxide does not harm the burning material and does not leave marks on it (this feature explains the prevalence of the use of this model of fire extinguishers).
Fire extinguisher structure
CO2 fire extinguishers OU-2, OU-3 are built according to the same principle, like all other models of this type. They are a metal cylinder, into the neck of which a starting device with a siphon tube is screwed on a conical thread. The siphon tube should not reach the edge of the cylinder by 5-7 mm.
A polyethylene nozzle is attached to the body of the trigger. The starting device has a safety diaphragm, which prevents the increase in pressure in the housing above the working one. The fire extinguisher is attached to the wall with a bracket. When mounted in a vehicle, a specially made transport bracket is used. The principle of operation is to release carbon dioxide or carbon dioxide snow to the source of ignition.
The OU-2 manual carbon dioxide fire extinguisher functions as follows:
- When extinguishing a fire, it is necessary to pull off the seal and tear off the pin.
- Point the nozzle (flexible hose with spray cone) at a 45˚ angle towards the flame.
- Pull the trigger on the launcher.
- OTS served on the edge of the fire.
- Extinguish at a distance of one meter.
- After extinguishing, release the trigger.
- In case of unextinguished flames, use the fire extinguisher again in the same way (however, it is worth remembering that the time of continuous operation of this type of fire extinguisher is about 9 seconds).
- It is not recommended to hold the fire extinguisher horizontally during operation, as this prevents the full use of its charge.
- After use, the unit must be recharged at service points.
- Fire must be extinguished from the windward side.
- On a flat surface, start extinguishing a fire from the front side.
- It is unacceptable to keep the cylinder in a horizontal position during operation.
- It is recommended to extinguish liquid substances from top to bottom, but the burning wall opposite - from the bottom up.
- If there are several fire extinguishers, it is advisable to use them simultaneously.
- Make sure that ignition does not resume.
- After use, fire extinguishers must be taken for filling.
Like any equipment that ensures the safety of people, carbon dioxide fire extinguishers OU-2 must be subject to maintenance by specialized stations. It includes the following:
- annual unit he alth check;
- once every five years it is recharged (if it was used or there was a fallpressure, then recharging is performed unscheduled);
- recharging of fire extinguishers located in vehicles should be carried out more often, namely once every two years;
- those fire extinguishers that are placed in vehicles outside the cab or cabin, and therefore are subject to adverse climatic and physical factors, must be recharged at least once a year.
If we are talking about cars, then fire fighting equipment should be in the cab next to the driver. He must have free access to a fire extinguisher. It is not allowed to store the fire extinguisher in hard-to-reach places such as the trunk, body, etc.
Indoors, fire extinguishers are located primarily in those places where a fire is most likely to occur. It is also advisable to hang them along the escape route and near the exits. It is important to ensure that it is not exposed to direct sunlight, heat fluxes, it is not subject to mechanical stress and other adverse environmental factors. Be sure to ensure visibility and easy access when needed.
Fire extinguishers are usually located on special brackets. Attach them to the wall. The main thing here is that the top of the fire extinguisher is at a height of at least one and a half meters from the floor. Due to this arrangement, people of short stature will be able to use it during a fire. At the same time, it will not be available to children.
Also allowed in fire cabinetsor on special stands.