Who does not know about PVA glue, which is actively used for gluing products from various materials: wood, ceramics, chipboard, linoleum, paper, glass, fabric and leather bases. The popularity of the glue determines the high-quality adhesion of the material and the surface to be glued, affordable cost, increased resistance to moisture, but at the same time, good solubility in water, which in itself answers the question, how to dilute PVA glue? The purpose of the glue is determined depending on its variety.
PVA glue is the most popular substance in the world. It is universal and useful both when studying at school and when carrying out repairs in a house or apartment.
What is this PVA glue?
The history of the composition has more than a century, and it was invented back in 1912 of the last century in Germany. A couple of years later, the glue entered the sales market and began to be produced for commercial purposes. In 2018, the adhesive production capacity exceeded one million tons of the substance.
What does it consist ofsubstance
PVA stands for Polyvinyl Acetate Adhesive, the composition of which consists of:
- a special synthetic fiber based on polyvinyl alcohol - vinalone, which accounts for about 95% of the product;
- a variety of additives that increase plasticity, stability, adhesion strength.
Main types of PVA glue
The main types of PVA glue compositions, divided into types by purpose, include:
- stationery - for gluing paper and cardboard bases;
- wallpaper or household - for gluing paper materials to wooden and cemented surfaces;
- construction - for fiberglass, paper and vinyl compositions. Serves as an additive for primers, which helps to improve the technological properties and adhesion of materials applied in the future: putties, plasters, dry mortar;
- super M - indispensable when gluing products made of vapor-proof materials, ceramic and porcelain products, fabrics, glass, leather. In addition, it is used when installing a variety of floor coverings;
- Extra - used for gluing wood, plywood, building nets, wallpaper (cork, vinyl, paper, fiberglass), sickle. Used as a strength additive;
- Multipurpose - Useful when gluing paper and paper-laminate decorative plastic to wood, glass and metal surfaces.
Is it possible to dilute the glue and with what
So we come toa question that interests many: how to dilute PVA glue? We hasten to answer - yes, you can. It just needs to be done right. How to cope with such a seemingly simple task and not ruin the glue, read on.
In order to cope with the task, try to follow some recommendations and dilute the glue only with warm water, various kinds of solvents adversely affect the technical properties and structure of the composition, destroying it. At the same time, it is necessary to mix the glue as intensively as possible.
How to dilute a heavily thickened composition
Let's see if PVA glue can be diluted. When the glue dries, having thickened greatly, a crust or small dry particles resembling flakes form on its surface. These impurities, which the solution may contain, should be removed before applying the composition to the surface.
Clumps of jelly consistency can be left as they dissolve when stirred.
How to dilute dry mix
You already know how and with what to dilute PVA glue in the usual form, but sometimes you have to work with a dry mixture. Such substances are diluted according to the proportion or ratio indicated on the package. The manufacturer recommends adhering to these recommendations, otherwise the adhesive will lose its technical properties and be useless in gluing.
Exception to rule
If 90% of types of PVA glue can be diluted with water, then 10% falls into a special category of adhesivecompounds present on the market and not amenable to dilution with water. They, as a rule, are presented in finished form: in a diluted state and in appropriate containers, since they are characterized by an unpleasant chemical odor, and the substance in open jars dries quickly. To prevent the glue from hardening, try to buy enough containers that you can apply the glue at one time. This will save both glue and money.
There are exceptions when such glue is diluted, but only with the use of a special synthetic solvent.
How to properly apply diluted glue to the surface
So, having figured out how to dilute thick PVA glue, working with it does not involve difficulties. It's simple enough. The presence of instructions will simplify the task, since the insert contains brief information about what this or that type of product is used for gluing and how to use it correctly. Since the application of wood glue and paper glue is somewhat different, some people have a problem when gluing wooden surfaces. To prevent unpleasant moments from happening to you, remember a simple rule: apply glue to the side of the product that absorbs the composition more slowly, that is, with a less porous structure.
Is it possible to dilute PVA glue with water, figured it out. Remember that when working with PVA glue, regardless of type, follow some rules:
- for applying glue on thin wallpaper, one layer is enoughmeans, and for dense materials - two;
- for point application of PVA use a special nozzle, and if it is not available, use improvised means - a syringe without a needle or an ordinary pipette;
- use a sponge or roller to process a large surface;
- apply glue, starting from the center and gradually moving to the edges;
- glued items, if possible, held under pressure for greater reliability.
Having studied the information given in the article, you have received an answer to the frequently asked question: “how to dilute PVA glue?”. Taking into account the above recommendations, the use of glue will be a rational solution for you if you need to connect any parts together.