Do you know what not a single installer performing construction work can do without, and what materials will be required to equip a residential building, and what is preferred when roughing out an apartment? You will find the answer to these and other questions in today's article. After all, your attention is presented with an overview of such a versatile material as drywall.
When mounting frame structures, make sure that exactly the sheathing material that is needed is at hand. Recently, plasterboard sheets (GKL) have been popular - rectangular slabs with a gypsum base and a sheath made of thick paper. Familiarize yourself with the classification, operation features depending on the microclimate conditions and decide on the appropriate dimensions of drywall sheets.
Without the availability of building material, repairs will be impossible, so make sure that all the necessary materials, tools and equipment are at hand. Try not to delay the purchase and take everything at once. After all, materials from different batches may differ according to certain criteria.
GCR target diversity
According to the purpose, the plates are divided into:
- wall with a thickness of 1.25 cm;
- ceiling - 0.95 cm;
- arched – 0.65 cm.
Wall gypsum board is used for wall finishing and installation of partitions, ceiling plasterboard for sheathing suspended ceiling boxes, and arched plasterboard for creating exclusive structures with curved lines, openings and partitions.
Masters recommend using solid slabs for cladding, the number of which is calculated in advance. The standard size of drywall sheets is 2500 x 1200 mm, which is equal to an area of 3 m2.
There are also sheets with non-standard parameters on the market: length from 1500 to 4000 mm, width from 600 to 1500 mm and thickness from 0.65 to 2.4 cm. This causes some difficulties in choosing, so consult before buying with a specialist.
Remember that whole plasterboards are used only when facing large areas, and when repairing in a small apartment, they have to be cut into component parts of the required size.
Check out the typical characteristics of drywall sheets - an indispensable material in construction, repair, reconstruction and restoration of the normal state of houses and apartments.
Characteristic features of gypsum boards
The size of drywall sheets is the most obvious parameter and the first point that determines whether this material is suitable for the buyer or not. This item is characterized by length,plate width and thickness. Installers answer that these are the main characteristics in technical terms, which directly affect the choice of one or another type of material.
The manufacturer offers slabs with a length of 250-300 cm and a width of 120 cm. On request, a slab with a minimum length of 200 cm and a maximum length of 400 cm can be pressed.
A common version of plasterboard with a thickness of 0.65, 0.95 and 1.25 cm. This parameter is given special attention, since according to it the intended purpose of the material is determined.
The thinnest sheets are suitable for creating curved shapes and designs. Material with a thickness of 0.95 cm is sometimes suitable for sheathing the correct form of ceiling structures. Wall partitions are mounted from the thickest slabs - 1.25 cm. The indicator also depends on the thickness of the plasterboard sheets:
- sound insulation;
- strength characteristics of the structure;
- specific weight of the product and the weight it can support.
Experts recommend taking a double layer of sheets 1.25 cm thick for partitions and surface cladding. This improves sound insulation.
1, 25 cm - the thickest sheets, characterized by an indicator of 322 N in the longitudinal direction and 105 N in the transverse direction.
Poor-quality material that does not meet the requirements is fragile, which affects the convenience of working with it and the stability of the finished structure.
Someadditional characteristics of GKL
Unlike the technical parameters discussed above: the dimensions of drywall sheets, the thickness and strength of the material, the characteristics described below are classified as auxiliary. Among them:
- fire safety;
- variety of edge.
This indicator is determined by the purpose of the material. In the course of production, cardboard of different shades is used, setting the tone for one or another type:
- GKL (standard) - grey;
- GKLV (moisture resistant) - green;
- GKLO (fire-resistant) - red, etc.
Due to the color separation, you can quickly and easily determine the type of material and choose the size of the plasterboard.
Depending on the dimensions, the weight of the plates varies significantly. Among the craftsmen, the concept of the weight of 1 m2 drywall is common. So, ceiling plasterboards with a thickness of 0.95 cm weigh within 6.5-9 kg / m2, and wall with a thickness of 1. 25 cm - 8. 5-12 kg / m 2.
Knowing how much this or that sheet weighs, you can determine which type of drywall with certain indicators is suitable for your case.
Another indicator according to which gypsum boards differ from each other is the edge. The strength of future seams at the junction of the GKL also depends on its type. According to the strength characteristics of the seams, plates with a thin edge of the PRO type showed themselves best of all.
Types and standard sizes of Knauf drywall sheets
The world standard of materials in the production of frame and sheath structures, as before, is assigned to the products of the German company Knauf. Experts and craftsmen of the company divide their products into several main groups, including:
- GKL is a standard version of building material. The same name implies a type intended for sheathing frame structures mounted in rooms with an optimal level of humidity. The standard size of the Knauf drywall sheet is 250 x 120 x 1.25 cm, and the weight is 29 kg. The company's products are easily recognizable by their appearance - a gray cardboard surface and blue markings.
- GKLV - moisture resistant boards. The gypsum filling is diluted with special hydrophobic additives, and the outer shell is additionally treated with a water-repellent composition. The sheets are identical in size to the previous type.
- GKLO is a fire-resistant type of canvas, characterized by high resistance to open flame. During processing, the gypsum filler is additionally fired at a high temperature and impregnated with a special solution containing reinforcing compounds. The mass of such a GCR with dimensions of 250 x 120 x 1.25 is 30.6 kg. The front surface of the plates is painted pink with red markings.
- GKLVO - a mixed type of sheets that combines the characteristics of refractory and moisture resistant products. The material is amenable to complex processing, which contributes to an increase in higherdescribed qualities. With standard dimensions, the GKLVO weighs no more than 30.6 kg, and it can be distinguished by the green color of the outer shell - cardboard, and the red marking on it.
- Fireboard is a special type of drywall with increased fire resistance. Such a plate withstands the effects of fire from 60 minutes, without losing its technological characteristics. You don’t know what size the drywall sheet is - 250 x 120 x 1.25 cm, while the plate weighs only 31 kg. In addition, reinforced sheets are characterized by a thickness of 2 cm and are distinguished by the red color of the sheets and the same corresponding marking.
Features of GKL marking
Drywall is a material that has a symbol that determines its properties and consists of:
The letter part indicating the type, group (combustibility, toxicity, etc.), type of longitudinal edges
Numerical part indicating the dimensions of the plasterboard wall or ceiling (length/width/thickness in mm), GOST compliance standard
Features of the use of GKL indoors
You already know that standard gypsum boards are used for mounting and installation of frame structures and wall cladding in rooms with optimal humidity. The versatility and wide dimensional grid of the plates allow them to be used both for the installation of partitions of any type, and for the installation of a false ceiling.
The plates have a wide range of applications and are suitable for various types of work in conditions with an optimal microclimate, as well as in extremeenvironment.
Scope of application
Check out the information explaining what type of GCR, where it is applied:
- Moisture resistant - in rooms with high humidity, in particular bathrooms and kitchens. This is an excellent base for tiling.
- Fire-resistant - in rooms to which special fire safety requirements are imposed, for wall and ceiling decoration of office and factory premises. Due to their properties and dimensions, gypsum boards for ceilings and walls are successfully used in the arrangement of the attic space of residential buildings.
- moisture-resistant - in rooms where high humidity is combined with elevated temperatures. It is used to create frame ceilings and partitions in baths and saunas. It does not differ in size from the previous type. With a length of 200-400cm, the width is 120cm and the thickness is 1.25 or 1.6mm.
Features of the use of GKL in structures
Plates based on gypsum filler are used for a variety of purposes, and the features of operation and installation, depending on the situation, are determined based on an analysis of the type and scheme of the future structure.
Depending on the characteristics of the material used in a particular frame structure, gypsum boards are divided into:
- Wall, used when installing partitions or when finishing walls. Basically, these are sheets with a thickness of 1.25 cm. If it is necessary to mount a structure with increased rigidity, thicker sheets are taken. Diversethe dimensions of drywall sheets in length, width and height are presented in a wide modification.
- Ceiling, used in the sheathing of the suspended ceiling frame and other structures. The use of plates with a thickness of 0.95 cm will be optimal, as thicker ones will increase the weight of the overhanging structure.
- Arched - sheets suitable for mounting irregular and curved structures (arches, curly partitions, etc.). When asked what size drywall sheet is for such elements, they answer that the length and width parameters do not matter, but the thickness is important and should not exceed 0.65 cm. Only such thin plates provide good opportunities for creating elements of any curved shape.
Having introduced the reader to the features of the GKL, I would like to add - what size and type of drywall to choose matters. These are important factors and you should not forget about them not only when choosing a material, but starting from the stage of design work. However, the main feature of the boards is the atmosphere that develops in rooms finished with plasterboard.