For a long time Africa remained a closed continent, not exposed to other cultures. For this reason, the interior style that was formed here has retained its archaism and originality. The dwellings of the indigenous population, as a rule, were rather laconic, since the vast majority of local residents could not afford frills and luxuries.
Probably, this simplicity causes, especially in recent years, the increased interest of representatives of other cultures spoiled by luxury. The African style belongs to ethnic trends, since an abundance of traditional elements, decor items, as well as national ornaments that are typical for the Black Continent are used to create it.
Undoubtedly, today this style has absorbed the features of European trends, which are successfully combined with elements of local culture. We will tell about the intricacies of this direction and the secrets of its creation.in this article. Before creating such a style in your home, you should understand its directions. It is necessary to decide what you want to achieve: to reflect as much as possible the features of the dwelling of the indigenous inhabitant of Africa, or to bring only some elements of national color into your premises.
A feature of the African style can be considered its brightness and liveliness and some childlike immediacy, which fills it with positive energy. Such an exotic kind of ethnic style always looks modern, since national motifs in the design of residential premises have stood the test of time and at the same time have not lost their originality and freshness.
When creating an African style with your own hands, you need to use the most typical features of the home decoration of different peoples of Africa. Designers distinguish two varieties of this style - Moroccan and Egyptian. There are two ways to design a home - adding colorful national shades or decorative details to achieve full compliance with the interior of an African home.
The main characteristic features of this style:
- national flavor;
- invigorating, energetic atmosphere;
- contrasting colors.
As you can see in the photo, the African style has much in common with minimalism, while being simple and somewhat rough. As a decor, it uses products of folk craftsmen and objects of applied art. Choosing accessories andtextiles, preference should be given to burning, bright shades of natural colors. We will talk about them further.
As you know, Africa is the hottest continent on Earth. The scorching sun shines here all year round. For this reason, the color palette of this interior style is filled with rich and bright colors, as well as their shades. The main tint options include:
- orange and its fiery hue;
- marsh shade of green;
- blue (few accents).
African-style room is not just warm, but fiery and hot colors. This excludes the use of acidic, flashy and unnatural colors - they must all be natural.
African-style design is completely democratic, which involves the use of not only expensive finishing materials in the design of the room, but also affordable ones. With their help, you can also create the style of this energetic and vibrant trend.
There are many options for wall decoration:
- Use wallpaper with a pattern that mimics the color of the skins of wild animals or the skin of reptiles.
- Plain wallpaper with stucco texture.
- Combination of monochromatic canvases of rough texture with wallpaper withanimal print.
- Walls can be painted with saturated warm, shades or muted shades of white - milky, ivory color.
- The art painting looks impressive on the plastered surface. In this case, the national theme is used - the nature of Africa, the silhouettes of wild animals.
- Often, designers use the craquelure technique in wall decoration, which involves the use of paint in two shades. Against the background of the main color, there is a grid of small cracks of an accent shade. This finish looks elegant and noble.
- African style allows decorative plaster in wall decoration, especially artificially aged.
- African patterned wall decoration in living areas, and mosaic tiles in bathrooms and kitchens.
As you can see, from the variety of options offered, everyone can choose exactly the one that suits you more than others, and which will not be too burdensome for the family budget.
African-style flooring is made from materials that keep the room cool. For the hot climate of Africa, this choice is quite justified. Natural stone or porcelain stoneware can be used as a cold coating. However, our climatic conditions should be taken into account, so it is advisable to take care of installing a floor heating system.
You can use other materials as flooring:
- carpet that imitates the texture of lawn grass;
- bamboo flooring.
Additional elements for finishing the floor can be mats from different types of natural materials, bright homespun rugs that are knitted from the remnants of yarn.
What should the ceiling be like?
There are also many options for finishing the ceiling:
- Painting the surface of the ceiling with warm-colored paint (sand, ivory, cream, milky, etc.).
- White whitening is the easiest and most affordable way.
- Drapery fabric under the ceiling.
- Protruding beams made of natural wood in dark tones. The beams are opened with varnish, which emphasizes the grain of the wood.
- Sometimes reed or bamboo stems are laid on wooden beams in a thin layer. Such a simple technique allows you to create in the interior the feeling of being in a real African hut.
- Special bamboo slabs for ceiling surface mounting, can be attached to the ceiling itself or suspended structures. Such a detail perfectly reflects the original style of this trend.
This interior direction involves the use of furniture made from natural materials. You can, of course, pick up an imitation, but only of high quality. The main natural materials that are used to make African-style furniture include:
- genuine leather;
- natural clay;
- animal skins;
- reptile skin;
- bark of palm trees.
Most pieces of furniture are made from natural wood. They are massive in size and have a clear geometric shape. The outlines of the furniture are simple, but its surface is often decorated with paintings or carvings. Nevertheless, chests of drawers and wardrobes, sofas give the impression of reliability and some bulkiness.
Upholstered furniture is also large in size, simple in shape with deliberately rough upholstery. The upholstery made of smooth genuine leather in black or dark brown will look harmonious. A special role in the African style is played by huge chests made of natural wood. For a long time they kept clothes, household utensils and household items. The interior design can be complemented by racks made of wooden boards, suspended from strong ropes that descend from the ceiling.
The hot climate of Africa brings its own adjustments and characteristic features to interior design. This also applies to the choice of textiles - it is always extremely bright, saturated colors. The motley ornament consisting of rhombuses and zigzags looks especially impressive. This color is typical for sofa cushions, bedspreads, curtains.
Upholstery of upholstered furniture can be made of dense fabric, which is painted with complex African patterns.
The arts and crafts of Africa is famous fora wide range of different items for interior decoration. Among them, the following should be highlighted:
- table lamps and floor lamps made from natural materials;
- ceramic dishes painted with national ornaments;
- colorful homespun paths of bright yarn;
- carpets with typical African patterns;
- animal skins for floors and as bedspreads for upholstered furniture;
- clay figurines;
- bamboo curtains;
- African style paintings;
- figures made of ivory;
- magic amulets that are designed to protect the owners of the house and their home from evil spirits;
- African masks;
- lampshades woven from vines;
- blinds made of wooden thin plates;
- hunting trophies, stuffed animals, for example;
- houseplants (palms and ferns);
- photos of landscapes framed by bamboo frames;
- mirrors in cork frames.
Ethnic style provides an opportunity for a creative approach to design and free combination of various elements. It is allowed to use a variety of decorative items, in any combination.
Even with all the rules, an almost perfect African-style interior can be spoiled by the wrong lighting. For rooms decorated in this style, cold light is excluded; preference should be given to lamps that emit warm andscattered light. This can be achieved with yellowish shades, lampshades, chandeliers and sconces.
African-style living room will suit people who value eco-friendly and natural design. It will appeal to everyone who is tired of the bustle of the city, strict and formal office styles, made in monochrome. A living room decorated in this style will remind you of the sunny and warm summer and the beauty of Africa.
Designing a room in this direction will require a special approach from you. It is important not to overdo it in this case. Otherwise, you will get an ethnographic museum instead of a cozy living room. The basis of such a design of the living room should be stylistic features that can emphasize the beauty of the nature of the hot continent.
Colorful African style in the living room can be recreated in several ways:
- Make an emphasis on textured colored materials.
- Use the alternation of finishing materials when decorating walls.
- You can paint plain walls with floral ornaments or animal silhouettes.
African-style paintings or an image of the earth cracked from the hot sun will harmoniously look on the walls. We have already said that natural materials should be used in the design of a room in this style. In extreme cases, you can use their high-quality imitation.
Living room furniture should be heavy and rough. Carving and painting on its facades is allowed. Looks great furniture with wrought irondetails. It harmoniously fits into the interior and wicker furniture. It is advisable to select upholstered furniture with a finish imitating the skins of wild animals and genuine leather. If you do not plan to change upholstered furniture, use blankets and decorative pillows with the appropriate print for decor.
To create an African-style bedroom interior, you should first of all choose the right bed. It should be made of wood, and the rougher it is, the better. A podium-type bed or a bed with very low legs is ideal. In this case, a light canopy would be appropriate.
The walls are decorated with plaster or paint that imitates the color of clay. Parquet board is ideal for the floor. In the decor of the bedroom in this style, use not masks, but pictures of animals, safari photos that do not irritate the eye.
There is less improvisation in the African-style kitchen, as this room should first of all be functional and easy to clean. In order for the interior of such a kitchen not to conflict with the African design of the whole house, it is enough to decorate the kitchen in red-brown or wenge color. Place decor from wooden cuts or branches. Hang clay plates on the walls.