Water-based paint is a popular material used in home renovations. Even experienced craftsmen make mistakes, as a result of which paint stains can appear in different places. How to wash water-based paint yourself?
What you may need to remove stains
After repairs using water-based paint, it is recommended to carefully examine all the places where the paint has got in order to determine in advance the scope of work. Stains may appear on glass, flooring, fabrics. You need to find out what materials are affected, it is they that need to be cleaned. If there are a lot of spots, then you need to carefully prepare.
For work you may need:
- water and containers for it;
- polyethylene film, paper;
- different brushes;
- roller with a soft nozzle that absorbs water well;
- turpentine, acetone or other solvents.
Be sure to take care of your own safety,so you need goggles, gloves, a mask. You will need a ladder to get to the ceiling.
Ways to remove paint stains
After the repair, the question may arise: how to wash water-based paint. Before starting work, you need to cover all objects in the room with plastic wrap or paper. You should take care of your own safety. Spots can be de alt with using a variety of methods. Ways to solve the problem:
- mechanical cleaning;
- soap solution;
- using solvents;
- using professional chemical paint removers;
- using special tools such as a blow dryer;
The last two options are most often used by specialists.
Mechanical method for removing paint stains
How can I wash water-based paint? The mechanical way is the easiest to deal with this problem. Apply water to the stains, for these purposes you can use a roller, brush, sponge. Wait 15 minutes, using a spatula, remove the paint. A brush with metal bristles is good for this purpose. Please note that delicate surfaces such as parquet can be easily damaged. Therefore, softer brushes should be used for them. Linoleum also needs to be scrubbed carefully, otherwise it will be covered with scratches and stop shining. On such surfaces, it is better to use sponges and rags.
Use soap solution
Thinking about what to washwater-based paint, you should remember the soap solution. To prepare it, you need to take water at room temperature and dissolve soap or any washing powder in it. Apply soapy water to stains with a brush. Wait a while. After that, remove the remaining liquid. Wipe with clean water, dry. If soapy stains remain, then rinse with water again.
Stain removal with chemicals
If other water-based paint removal methods fail, solvents can be used. First of all, you should try options that are safe for others. It is recommended to use the following tools:
- formic acid;
- isopropyl alcohol;
- dimetryl chloride.
As a general rule, you need 1 liter of product per square meter of surface. A large number of chemical paint thinners are now offered. Particular attention should be paid to their toxicity. In order not to harm the he alth of people and animals that live in this room.
How to save your floor from paint stains
Often the question arises of how to wash water-based paint from the floor. How quickly and easily you can deal with stains on the surface of the floor depends largely on what material it is made of. The easiest way to solve problems with tiles, because it is resistant to chemical solvents, you can use any tool. Apply a few drops to a sponge and rub the stains. After complete cleaning, wash the surface with water. Most often asLinoleum is used for flooring in modern homes. So the question of how to wash water-based paint from linoleum can be solved quite simply.
Stain removal order
1. Add a neutral cleaner to warm water, wash the floor. Many spots disappear at this stage.
2. Apply a small amount of gasoline, kerosene or turpentine to the sponge, gently rub the stain.
3. Remove solvent residue with warm water. If the stains are on the parquet, it is best to use special tools. Acetone, vinegar, methyl alcohol are suitable for these purposes.
Steps of work
- Take a cloth, soak it in water, wring it out, apply a cleaner.
- Try to scrub the stains.
- Wash the surface of the floor with warm water.
- Let the parquet dry well.
Using these methods and techniques, you can easily deal with paint stains on the floor.
Paint stains on clothes
Things are damaged, there are stains on them. How to wash water-based paint from clothes - many are faced with such a problem. Can the situation be saved? First of all, you need to determine what fabric the item is made of. It depends on this which cleaning method should be chosen. Therefore, we pay attention to the labels that are on the products. It is best to clean clothing immediately after water-based paint stains appear. From thin cotton fabric, stains are removed withgasoline.
Before starting work, you need to put paper under the product. After cleaning, the item must be washed in the usual way. Denim or other dense fabric is resistant to abrasion, so you can try to remove stains with solvents, such as acetone, turpentine. To do this, rub the stain with one of the listed products, after cleaning, be sure to wash the item. If the fabric is made from synthetic fibers, do not use solvents.
The order of removing stains from such things
- Put paper under the stain.
- Moisten a cotton pad with sunflower oil.
- Scrub the stain with it. Cleaning will not be easy, but there is a chance to save the item.
Even dried old stains can be removed. Stain removal order:
- Soak clothes in water.
- Wait for the paint to soften.
- Use a brush to scrub the stain from the fabric.
- Wash the product.
You can save things made of fabric if they got paint on them. To do this, you need to select methods for removing stains depending on the material.
How to clean paint from painted walls
During repairs, it may be necessary to clean large surfaces of old decorative layers. How to wash walls painted with water-based paint? It is necessary to cover all objects in the room with film or paper.
- Use a roller to wet the surface of the walls, carefully processing hard-to-reach areas. Let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Use a staple to remove old paint fromsurfaces. If the paint does not come off well, then you need to once again treat the walls with water. Answering the question of how to wash water-based paint from the ceiling, you can answer the same way as from the walls. If the paint cannot be removed, then the walls were varnished. Therefore, other chemicals must be selected.
How to clean paint off plastic
Stains may appear on pipes after repair. The question often arises, how to wash water-based paint from plastic? Fresh stains can be easily removed with a damp cloth. If the paint has dried up, then you should try to wash it in several steps. The old coating is more difficult to remove. To do this, wrap the pipes with a damp cloth and hold them in this state for 30-40 minutes. After that, you can use a brush, spatula.
Stain removal with special products
In addition to the above methods, there are compositions that are more often used by professionals. It is not difficult for them to answer the question of how to wash water-based paint from the ceiling, walls, plastic, wood. The "Usadba" flushing agent is widely known. It works best on metal, concrete and wood. Product Benefits:
- safe for humans and animals;
- has a gel-like structure;
- easy to apply.
Procedure for using the Homestead tool:
- Apply the product to the surface with a brush.
- Stay 15-20 minutes.
- The paint will dissolve, remove it with a spatula.
- Wash the cleaned surface with water at room temperature.
- Givedry out. If you need to wash several layers, then the exposure time of the composition on the surface must be increased. The tool allows you to easily cope with any water-based paint.
Useful tips from experts
When performing any work, you must carefully follow the recommendations. Incorrectly selected chemical solvents can cause irreparable damage to the surface. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the composition of materials. Be sure to protect the respiratory organs, eyes, skin from chemical compounds.
When treating large surfaces, apply water to small areas. If possible, wipe off the stains immediately. Solvents, if possible, should be used in cases where other means do not work. No need to pour hot water. After applying kerosene, a persistent smell remains. Table vinegar can help. To restore the shine of the floor surface, after removing the stains and washing the floors, rub them with a woolen cloth. These simple tips will save you time and effort. You can fix mistakes after repair by removing paint stains yourself.
About how to wash water-based paint, they talk on the forums. After the repair, many washed the water-based paint on their own. According to ordinary people, it is faster and easier to deal with the problem if the stains are fresh. Many emphasize that in this case, warm water or a soapy solution is sufficient. They write that it is especially important to observe the temperature of the water, because cold does not wash well, buthot leaves streaks. Water-based paint can be removed from any surface. For this, available effective means and methods are used.