Today, natural gas is one of the most popular types of fuel. It is also used in residential buildings. Despite all the safety precautions that are used when coming into contact with the gas, exposure to it carries some risk. What does gas smell like? How to determine if it is leaking?
Smell of gas
Methane gas is used for domestic purposes. Its concentration is about 98-99%. What does gas smell like? Methane is a volatile substance that has neither taste nor smell. What do people feel when they once again open a gas burner? The fact is that for safety reasons and easy detection of leaks, additional odorants are added to methane - odorants, thanks to which this becomes possible.
Odorants are added at gas distribution stations when preparing gas for further operation. What does the gas used for domestic purposes smell like? Its smell is familiar to every person who has a gas stove at home. Some compare it to the smell of rotten cabbage, but it's really hard to describe it.
Signs of a gas leak
What does gas smell like? It has a distinct odor that helps to identify a leak. However, in some cases, including due to problems with the sense of smell, some people may not notice its leak. What to do in such cases? It is necessary to pay attention to other symptoms, for example, with a high concentration of a substance in the air, the following symptoms appear:
- dry mouth;
- general signs of nausea, weakness in the body;
- eye redness, tearing;
- pale skin;
- sleep disorder.
These signs are called gas poisoning, because they indicate the saturation of the blood with it. A gas leak can be identified by characteristic symptoms.
Why is this happening?
Many are interested in whether the gas smells and in what ways it can leak. Most of us are very familiar with the smell of natural gas used in modern gas stoves, so we can usually spot a leak without difficulty. And it can happen for a number of the following reasons:
- The burner goes out due to draft or other reasons.
- Insufficient combustion of the gas, which can be identified by the shade of the flame. When burning normally, it should be blue, and when incorrect, it has orange or red hues.
- Gas hose loose.
- Errors when installing gas equipment.
- Defective cylinders, speakers or other equipment.
Often leaknatural gas is observed when self-unauthorized connection of gas equipment without the involvement of competent gas services.
What to do?
What does gas smell like when it leaks? It can be detected by its characteristic sour aroma, which is quite specific. At high concentrations, the smell becomes strong and pronounced. If such air changes are detected, the first step is to find the gas valve and completely shut it off. At this time, it is recommended not to breathe or cover the nose with a cloth, as the gas is extremely toxic.
If it is impossible to close the gas or its high concentration, it is recommended to open windows and doors wide open in order to reduce its concentration in the apartment.
It is also recommended to turn off the power to the home, as even a slight spark in the switch can ignite the gas.
Smoking or the use of any flammable substances is not allowed. It is recommended to notify neighbors of a gas leak. After that, it is important to call the gas service, which is responsible for identifying and fixing a gas leak, as well as repairing faulty gas equipment.
It's much easier to prevent a gas leak than to fix it. It is also very important to know what the gas smells like in order to accurately identify problems.
It is very important to carry out preventive measures, which are as follows:
- Starting from an early age with childrenneed to talk about the dangers of gas.
- Gas appliances should be purchased only with the appropriate warranty cards and quality certificates. Purchase of used equipment is not recommended.
- Gas cylinders should be kept away from combustibles and away from children. They should not be placed in direct sunlight, or in a room with high humidity or high temperature. They must be checked periodically.
- The position of the gas valves must be constantly monitored.
- It is important to keep gas burners free from clogging and to check and clean them periodically.
- When leaving the apartment, especially for a long period of time, it is recommended to turn off the gas valve.
- To prevent gas from going out, do not move far from the stove while cooking.
It is also strictly forbidden to install gas equipment yourself. This should only be done by a certified professional.