Good kitchen design never goes out of style. This is a comfortable, functional kitchen nook that does not take up much space, but at the same time comfortably accommodates three or four people at the dining table. Of course, like all furniture, it loses its presentable appearance over time, being exposed to various kinds of pollution. The time comes, and it should not just be cleaned using chemistry, but updated, giving it a second life. And it is not at all necessary to use the services of furniture workshops. You can do the upholstery of the kitchen corner with your own hands.
Benefits of bracing at home
Furniture upholstery is not considered a difficult task for those who like to do something in the house with their own hands. This is an interesting creative process, the result of which will be practical new kitchen furniture. The main thing is to have the necessary tool.
Furniture upholstery done at home has its advantages:
- saving the family budget;
- doing work at a convenient time;
- choose your own upholstery fabric;
- getting good at this job.
Subtleties of material selection
First you need to decide on the fabric for the upholstery of the kitchen corner, which is required for the upholstery. You need to be guided by several criteria, and not just the beauty of the canvas. The upholstery of the kitchen corner can be of three types: velor, leatherette and textiles. You can also use genuine leather. But this option of hauling furniture with your own hands is rarely practiced. When choosing a material, it should be taken into account that it should be in harmony with the interior of the kitchen, match its style, whether it be Provence or high-tech. Experienced craftsmen advise purchasing microfiber for structural cladding. Microfiber does not accumulate dust, moisture, easy to clean and wash. Filling the soft corner, you can buy foam. But it is better if there is polyurethane foam.
If you choose poor-quality material for the upholstery of the kitchen corner, no one will get pleasure from this upholstery, and soon the procedure will have to be repeated. Faux leather works best. It is easy to clean, and any liquid spilled on the upholstery can be wiped off with a cloth. Fabric upholstery, in this case, needs to be washed.
To make high-quality upholstery of the kitchen corner, you need to make a cuton the old, removed earlier. To do this, lay out the new fabric in one layer, lay out all the components from the old cover on top. Circle the contours with chalk. Cutting needs to be done a little more than the old upholstery.
It is necessary to pay attention to the coincidence of patterns if the fabric for the kitchen corner is not plain. When cutting, you need to pay attention to how the fabric tension thread goes - lobar. On all sections of the material in the new cut, it should be located in the same direction: in height or width.
It is very important to make the correct calculation of the fabric required for the waist. In order not to buy more or less, you need to lay out the removed old pattern on a certain piece of material that has the width that the new material will have. By measuring the length of this piece, you can go shopping. Do not forget about the foam rubber necessary for the backs and seats. It is usually tall and thick, 5 to 10 centimeters thick.
Home master, starting upholstery of the kitchen corner, must have the following tools:
- industrial (furniture) stapler and anti-stapler or flathead screwdriver for removing old upholstery;
- glue for gluing foam rubber;
- regular and painting knives;
- open-end wrenches for disassembling a furniture frame;
The work of reupholstering kitchen furniture is not difficult. The main thing is to follow the step-by-step instructions in itsfulfillment:
- Prepare the area for the kitchenette upholstery.
- Carefully remove the old one. To do this, you will need a staple remover (if you do not have one, you can use a standard kitchen knife or a flathead screwdriver).
- Remove all fasteners from the kitchen corner frame.
- To refurbish a wooden frame, go over it with coarse sandpaper, then fine sandpaper, and varnish the wood or refresh the paint.
- Remove the old filler. It's simple - the old foam must be removed from the wooden parts of kitchen furniture: seats and backs.
- Laying a new filler. Pieces of foam rubber are cut to the size of the seats and backs and glued to the work surface with PVA glue or fixed with a stapler.
- If necessary, you can sew covers. This applies mainly to backs in kitchen furniture.
- Seat covers are attached with staples and a stapler.
- The most important step is to upholster the kitchen furniture. For everything to be beautiful, you should not rush. Attach new seat and back covers with a few staples to the base of the kitchen furniture using a stapler. In this case, there is no need for jewelry precision, the staples must be applied at such a distance from each other that the fabric does not bulge.
- Assemble all corner parts.
- Correct shortcomings.
The finishing touch in the upholstery of the kitchen corner will be the decoration stage. It can be small pillows, macrame chair covers.