"Where to start?" - perhaps the most common question that arises among all those who are thinking about how to lay tiles in the bathroom with their own hands. It is best to start by creating a detailed plan (project), in which it is necessary to take into account all the nuances of the upcoming work. You can schematically depict your thoughts on a piece of paper or use the services of a designer. Recently, more and more stores provide this service for free when selecting and purchasing material. The main thing is that you like the version of the project. Pay attention to these things:
- First of all, this is the arrangement. If the bathroom is small, it can be difficult to plan the placement of the bath, sink, toilet. Therefore, it is important to think well. Is it planned to install any equipment (for example, a washing machine). Very often, a washing machine is installed in the bathroom, which requires an individualwater supply and drainage, as well as electricity.
- Will there be underfloor heating in the bathroom. If so, which ones.
- Where electrical appliances, lamps, sockets will be installed.
- Which material will be used for the walls, ceiling and floor.
Selection and purchase of material
When choosing a material, be guided not only by preferences, but also by practicality and quality. Do not be afraid to experiment, for example, in combination with tiles (or instead of it), you can use wallpaper and paint. Thus, the question "how to lay tiles in the bathroom" will be facilitated or completely eliminated. On the ceiling, you can also install various types of panels or paint it. But the best option is stretch ceilings. If the walls need to be leveled, then the plaster mixture must be cement-based. Before going to the hardware store, you need to measure the room as accurately as possible in order to avoid a shortage or, conversely, an overabundance of material.
Sequence of work
Conventionally, the work on the issue of "how to lay tiles in the bathroom" can be divided into two stages: preparatory and finishing. At the preparatory stage, the most labor-intensive and “dirty” types of work are carried out:
- Dismantling. Unnecessary partitions and various structures are demolished. Surfaces are cleaned of old material. Notches are made on the walls if, for example, the walls were previously painted.
- Installation of electrical wires, sewer pipes and water supply in progress.
- Installation of underfloor heating (if provided).
- Alignment of walls and floor (ifrequired).
- New structures (boxes, niches) or partitions are being erected. The material varies, but mostly it is moisture resistant drywall or blocks.
The finishing stage is already directly finishing according to the selected materials:
- Wall and floor tiling and grout.
- Painting or wallpapering (if applicable).
- Installation of necessary devices and items.
Electrical and plumbing installation
These works are carried out at the preparatory stage and require special attention. They include chasing walls and laying cables to the places of future sockets, switches, sensors and lamps. Sockets are installed. The depth of the strobe depends on the thickness of the cable.
If the installation of sewer pipes and water sockets is hidden, then it is also necessary to hollow out the walls to the thickness of the pipes. Instead, you can mount drywall boxes. This is especially true for monolithic walls, because it is almost impossible to hollow out a strobe for sewer pipes.
Installation can be open, it all depends on the preferences and characteristics of the bathroom. The main thing is to immediately check all nodes and connections for operability. The strobes are sealed with a plaster mix or tile adhesive.
Installation of underfloor heating
Great solution for those who are faced with the question "how to lay tiles in the bathroom." For bathrooms, there are two types:
- Electric floor heatinginstalled before tiling. Represents a heating element (usually a cable or a heating mat). Available with or without a sensor. The control is carried out using a thermostat.
- Water floor heating is suitable for those who have individual heating or a water heater. Differs in more difficult installation, but also greater savings in comparison with electric underfloor heating. Installation takes place at the draft stage. To do this, it is necessary to remove the layer of the old screed in the selected place and lay a pipe (usually metal-plastic) and connect it to the gas boiler manifold. The depth should be at least 3-5 centimeters from the surface of the pipe. Filled with cement-sand mixture. After pouring the screed, you can turn on the heating no earlier than three weeks later.
Alignment of walls and floor
How to lay tiles in the bathroom on the walls? Here, much depends on the walls, or rather, on how smooth their surface is. Therefore, a quite reasonable question arises: to plaster the walls or not? There are no general recommendations, a lot depends on the specific room, but, for example, if the walls are uneven, then the consumption of tile adhesive will increase up to two times. Therefore, if the deviation from the level is more than 1-2 centimeters in length and height, then it is recommended to plaster it. In addition, if the corner of the room is rotated (more than 90 degrees), then the cost of glue will also increase.
Before plastering, it is important to treat the walls with a primer or concrete contact (for monolithic walls). If enamel was originally applied to the walls, then notches should be made. ForFor best results, use a cement-based stucco mix.
All of the above applies to gender as well.
An uneven (not level) floor will not only look unaesthetic, but may also cause improper installation of equipment and furniture. It is best to align it with the lighthouses using a cement-sand mixture. If necessary, make waterproofing with a rise on the walls of 15-20 centimeters.
Tile installation methods
There is no definite answer to the question of how to lay tiles in the bathroom. Some prefer to start on the walls, while others start on the floor. There are no fundamental differences in technology, there are only small nuances:
- If it was decided to start with the walls, then first mark the perimeter of the room at the level of the beginning of the second row. We measure the height of the future row, taking into account the thickness of the floor tiles and glue, put a mark. Using a laser level, we put marks around the entire perimeter of the room. You can draw a line with the usual rule or using a marking cord. Now it remains to attach the guides to the wall and get to work.
- The second way is to start laying tiles from the floor. Perhaps the easiest option, especially for those who are first faced with the question of how to lay tiles in the bathroom. Usually start from the wall opposite the entrance. After the glue has dried, you can start decorating the walls.
- There is also a third way, although it is quite rare, this is when the tiles begin to be laid from the level alreadyinstalled bath. That is, tiles are not laid on the walls behind the bathroom. In this method, perhaps, there are more minuses than pluses. For example, in most cases, the first row of tiles around the entire perimeter will have to be filed. The question is quite natural: “how to lay the tiles under the bath in this case?”. But no way, pieces of tiles are brought under the bath so that later they are covered by a decorative screen.
There are also ways by type of layout:
- Direct layout, when the tiles are perpendicular to the walls. The easiest way, as it does not require additional measurements and tile cuts.
- Diagonal, when rows of plates run along opposite corners, i.e. diagonally. Suitable for small rooms, as it visually expands the space. Increases the number of tiles required by 10-15%.
- Space layout. Rarely used, mainly in large rooms using long tiles.
Laying tiles on the floor
And finally, all the preparatory work is completed, and you can proceed directly to the installation of tiles. How to lay tiles in the bathroom on the floor? Where to apply the adhesive - on the tiles or on the floor? These and other questions will arise in front of you if you are a beginner or decide to make repairs yourself. But do not be afraid, everything is not so scary:
- Floor tiles should be laid out on the floor along the walls from the corner of the intended start. This will allow you to see how even the planes of the walls and the corner are. If at the preparatory stage the walls and the corner were aligned, then thisstep can be skipped.
- Tile should be laid in such a way that the most open places in the bathroom are lined with whole slabs (the layout is determined at the planning stage). If the layout is diagonal, then you must first make the markup. Usually start from the wall parallel to the entrance.
- Glue still needs to be applied to the floor with a notched trowel or spatula with a tooth size of 8-10 millimeters. Of course, many people advise applying to both surfaces (both floor and tile), but this will significantly affect the speed, and besides, this action is not so important. If the screed was made according to the level, then the glue is applied under the comb (on the floor), preventing an increase in the thickness of the glue and voids between the tile and the floor.
- The flatness of the laid slabs is checked using the rule and the building level. The seams between the tiles are fixed with crosses, the distance from the wall is fixed with tile wedges.
- It is better to remove excess glue immediately, especially at the seams of the plates. As it dries, this will be much more difficult to do and may damage the tile.
- You can walk or start further work after at least 12 hours, it all depends on the thickness of the tile adhesive. It is recommended to immediately clean all seams from adhesive residue.
Mounting tiles on walls
No matter which installation method is chosen, it will not affect how the bathroom tiles are laid correctly. Either way will be correct. The most important part in wall laying is the first row. All further work will depend on the correct installation of the first row of tiles.Therefore, in the question of how to lay tiles in the bathroom, the following recommendations will help you:
- The first row is laid strictly according to the level (vertical and horizontal). You can correct the horizontal with the help of wedges, placing them under the tile. The vertical level is adjusted by pressing the tile. The thickness of the seam is fixed with crosses, usually 1.5 millimeters.
- They usually start from the wall opposite the entrance. This is done so that the tiles laid on adjacent walls cover the edges of the tiles laid on the front wall. So the joint (inner corner) will be less noticeable. But if you plan to use decorative tiled corners, then you can start with any of the walls.
- Glue is better to apply on the tile, so there will be less dirt. But if the walls are slightly uneven, then it is better to apply glue to both surfaces. At the same time, the thickness of the adhesive will increase, but it will be possible to adjust the tile if the wall “falls” (bends, protrudes) into the room.
- It is recommended to first lay out the first row around the entire perimeter and only then proceed to subsequent rows. This will be easier to do using a laser level.
- You can cut tiles with an electric or manual tile cutter, as well as a grinder with a diamond wheel installed on it. We make holes with ceramic drills or special crowns.
After the tile is completely laid out and the glue has dried, you can start grouting. But before that, it is necessary to clean all the seams from crosses, wedges and tile adhesive residues.Usually the seams are cleaned the next day after laying.
Diluted grout is rubbed into the seams with a rubber spatula, then washed off with a damp cloth or sponge in a circular motion. It is important not to press too hard on the sponge, so as not to blur the seams that have not yet dried. Also, do not grout too much, usually 1-1.5 square meters are rubbed, it all depends on experience, and sometimes the type of grout.
Grout can be tinted any color with regular paint tint.
Don't straighten the seams with your finger, as many people advise, this will cause you to cut your fingers. Better use special tubes (they come with grout) or the back of a rubber spatula.
After the grout dries (preferably the next day), plaque from the tile can be easily removed by wiping first with a dry and then with a damp cloth.
Installation of equipment and furniture
So we figured out the question of how to properly tile in the bathroom, it remains only to install equipment and furniture. First of all, a bath or shower is installed, and this equipment must be assembled in the room itself. Next, everything else is installed: a toilet bowl, a sink, all kinds of equipment and other items and accessories, as well as sockets, switches and lamps.
Repair completed and now you know how to lay tiles in the bathroom. If everything was done correctly, then you will enjoy the repair for a long time to come. Problem areascan be closed using different decorative elements. In this way, you can give the bathroom coziness and beauty and emphasize its individuality.