A do-it-yourself bunk bed is a task that everyone can do. For self-production, you will need material, tools, diligence and, of course, desire. The need for material components is obvious, but we must not forget that without the proper morale, it will not work to get a quality result.
Such sleeping structures are most often used to save space. They are most widely used in children's rooms. A bunk bed is well suited for rooms with a small area. Although often they can be found in rooms with a large area. This is due to the fact that such furniture looks original. It doesn't have to be for two kids. It can also be for one child. In this case, the lower zone of such furniture can perform other functions. For example, a table or cabinet.
Bunk beds can be bought at almost any furniture store. But the price of suchproducts for many may be overwhelming. In this case, you just need to walk through the trading floors and notice the model you like the most. And then proceed to the independent manufacture of furniture. A do-it-yourself bunk bed can turn out no worse than store copies, and in some cases even better. In addition, the price of a self-made product will be an order of magnitude lower.
Calculation of dimensions
Furniture production should begin with determining the dimensions of the future structure. Do not forget that, first of all, a do-it-yourself bunk bed is a functional product, not a decorative one. And this means that its operation should not cause any discomfort.
Calculation of overall dimensions should begin with determining the place where it is planned to place the bed. After that, it is necessary to determine the side from which the vertical ladder will be located to climb to the second tier. This information allows you to determine the size of future beds.
The next step is to calculate the height of the bed and the inter-tier space. Do not neglect this issue, since the ease of use largely depends on it. The distance between the upper and lower tiers should be such as to allow an adult to sit on the lower shelf. Also, do not deprive attention of such a parameter as the height of the top location. It should be positioned so that children can not only sleep on it, but also a littlefrolic. For example, jump. In addition, the closer the bed is to the ceiling, the more stuffy the atmosphere will be there.
What you need
For work you will need:
- bars 50 x 100 mm, 50 x 50 mm, 30 x 30 mm;
- boards 25 x 200 mm;
- self-tapping screws and screws.
Making a bed with your own hands
- Before proceeding with the design and assembly of furniture, it is necessary to allow the material to mature in the room for at least a week. Also, all lumber should be carefully processed with sandpaper, resulting in a smooth surface.
- Self-production should begin by taking the dimensions of the mattresses that you plan to use. To the data obtained, you must add two centimeters on each side. This will give you the dimensions of the frame.
- The next step is to assemble the frames according to the parameters defined in the previous step. Beams 50 x 100 mm should be connected with screws.
- The next step is to assemble the bed frame. To do this, the frames must be attached to four posts made of 50 x 50 bars.
The resulting construction will already be stable. Next, you need to make the bottom. To do this, 30 x 30 mm bars should be screwed along the entire perimeter of the fixed frames from the inside. They should be aligned to the bottom edge. Next, boards 25 x 200 mm should be laid on them, between which you can leave a gap of 50 to 100 mm.
- Also followstake care of the fence. To do this, you can use bars 50 x 50 mm, which should be screwed with self-tapping screws and a screwdriver to the vertical posts. Here's the DIY bunk bed almost finished.
- The last step is to make a ladder. For this fit bars 50 x 50.
- This is how the base is made, which is already suitable for full-fledged operation. If you put a little ingenuity and imagination into action, then you can make bunk children's beds from it with your own hands, which fit perfectly into any interior. To do this, you can use laminated hardboard, and chrome tubes, and much more.