The use of tiles is one of the most common ways to finish the bathroom and bathroom. For repairs, in addition to the tile itself, consumables are also required, and the main one is tile adhesive.
One of the first questions that arise when buying materials used for tile work is how much tile adhesive is consumed per 1 m2. and its cost. It is, in principle, impossible to unequivocally answer this question, but it is quite possible to calculate the approximate consumption of the solution per 1 m2.
How can I calculate the required amount of mixture?
The first option that comes to mind is to find out about the required amount from the one who releases it. For a particular manufacturer, there are norms for the consumption of tile adhesive from the condition of a constant thickness of the applied mortar. These data are indicated on the packaging and are indicative for the calculation. The table below shows the characteristics of the adhesive mostpopular brands. The spread of values is due to different compositions of mixtures and type of destination.
|Tile adhesive brand||
Consumption per square meter with a layer of 1 mm
Consumption per square meter with a layer of 6 mm
|"Eunice"||1, 0-1, 16kg||3, 1-4, 5kg|
|"Granite"||1, 3-1, 7kg||5-8kg|
|"Prospectors"||1, 2-1, 6kg||4-7kg|
|"Knauf"||1, 0-1, 1 kg||3, 5-5kg|
|"Volma"||1, 2-1, 5kg||4-6kg|
Options for an approximate calculation of the amount of tile adhesive
As you can see from the presented table, the values are approximately the same and say little about anything. It is better to estimate the consumption of tile adhesive per 1 m2 on the calculator, which is presented by each manufacturer on its website.
In order to use this service, you need to know the area of the room, decide on the size of the tile and select the type of mixture. As a result, you will be given the result in kilograms.
Another simplified version of the calculation under optimal conditions of use: half the thickness of the panel is multiplied by the consumption of the solution indicated on the package, the result will be the desired consumption of glue per 1 m2.
To correctly determine the required amount of the mixture, you need to take into account all the factors affecting thisvalue.
Factors affecting glue consumption
The first thing that determines the consumption of the mixture is the type of surface and its general condition. The smoother the wall and the less bumps and cracks on it, the less glue goes. That is why professional builders recommend pre-preparing the base with a less expensive finishing material such as plaster.
In addition, the reverse side of the tile can also have an uneven surface, and then an additional layer of mortar is applied to it.
The next parameter that determines the required amount of glue is the material of execution of both the wall and the tile itself.
Each material has its own porosity, depending on which it has a certain absorbency. For example, concrete walls absorb the least mortar. To reduce the consumption of tile adhesive per 1 m2, the base is carefully treated with a deep penetration primer before laying the tiles.
Tiles are also made from different materials. The smallest amount of glue disappears on porcelain stoneware panels, the largest porosity in cotto tiles.
The size of the panels also plays a role, the larger the tile, the thicker the layer should be.
Much depends on the way of laying and the professionalism of the masters. The more experienced the finisher, the thinner the layer of glue he can apply without losing the quality of the fastening.
Varieties of glue
Before you determine the consumption of tile adhesive per 1m2, you must choose whichcomposition will be used. There are three main types of tile mix:
1. Dispersion - a ready-made composition, it is extremely convenient in that you do not need to waste time on its preparation. It is good because it has ideal plasticity and viscosity, which allows applying the solution in an optimally thin layer.
2. Cement-based adhesive, the most inexpensive mixture that is sold dry and needs to be diluted. Thanks to cheap components, it is very popular and is used in 80% of cases. This type has its own way of calculating consumption, approximate, but giving at least some idea of the required amount. To determine the consumption, it is necessary to know the thickness of the adhesive layer, which is calculated based on the size of the tile. We multiply the thickness by 1, 3 (this is the average weight of the tile adhesive) and we get the desired result.
3. Epoxy mix is usually used by professional finishers, as it requires a certain amount of experience to make. For dilution, a special catalyst is used, which provokes a chemical reaction.
Spatulas used for work
A lot also depends on the size and type of spatula. To apply the solution, a spatula of a certain shape is used. If it is incorrectly sized, then the consumption of tile adhesive per 1 m2 increases significantly.
The recommended type of spatula is often indicated on the package, in this case it is better to listen to the manufacturer and purchase it. Besides,it is recommended to adhere to the following rules:
1. Glue consumption directly depends on the angle of the spatula during application, the greater the slope, the greater the consumption.
2. Most glue is consumed when applying the mortar with a square-toothed trowel, the most economical option is a V-shaped tool.
So how much glue should I buy?
Experts suggest taking 10 kg of glue per 1 m2 with a layer thickness of 10 mm as the norm. Even if you do the tiling yourself, it will be more than enough. In order to reduce the consumption of tile adhesive per 1m2, the advice of professionals suggests carefully studying the technology of applying the mortar and following the recommendations from the manufacturer.