In the process of overhaul, there are a lot of nuances regarding the finishing of many surfaces, but it is the flooring that worries the most. This is true, as many craftsmen claim that the choice and installation of flooring is a capital investment in repairs. Most often, it is linoleum that is used for decoration, but it must also be properly laid. At the time of the replacement of the coating, the question arises as to whether it is possible to lay linoleum on the old linoleum. Having decided on such a nuance of installation, you can save time, finances and strength. What will be the verdict?
To lay or not to lay, that is the question
There is no definite answer to the question of whether it is possible to lay linoleum on old linoleum - every master has his own opinion on this matter. Most are inclined to believe that it is still possible to lay new material on top of the old one, but not always.
There are several points that will allow you to decidewith option:
- The first thing you should pay attention to is the state of the reinforcement of the old coating. If it is normal, then you can put another layer of linoleum on top.
- Cracks in the old coating are quite acceptable. Holes and the absence of pieces are inadmissible for the secondary covering of such a base.
- It is contraindicated to put new material on the old, if there is mold, fungus on the coating.
- Old linoleum with signs of warping is not suitable as a "substrate" for a new flooring option.
In order not to risk the new material, you can remove the old version of the coating, eliminate the shortcomings of the floor itself. Then lay the old material and only then install the new one.
When you definitely shouldn't stack new material on old material
When evaluating an existing coating, it is sometimes difficult to determine exactly whether it is possible to lay linoleum on the old one. Factors that definitely exclude the secondary flooring with linoleum:
- New material should not be placed on very old material. The backing on such a product is usually of poor quality, and therefore not suitable for the base.
- If before that the room was used for other purposes and the coating has accumulated a lot of dirt and bacteria, then it is absolutely impossible to leave it for reuse.
- If the old coating has peeled off or lags behind the concrete floor, then lay a new construction layer on it"product" is not worth it.
- An uneven floor is a 100% recommendation for not laying new material on top of old.
- If the apartment was recently bought and the repair is being redone after the old owners, then leaving the old foundation is undesirable.
If you want to make everything new and clean, it is also better to completely dismantle the old coating.
Features of this finish
When the answer to the question of whether it is possible to lay linoleum on old linoleum is found, it is important to familiarize yourself with the features of this finishing option. Many pros stand out:
- In the absence of dismantling the old coating, a lot of time is saved.
- No need for careful base preparation.
- Due to the presence of two layers of finishing material, thermal insulation and sound insulation are improved.
- Installation is clean, as there is no construction debris, which is observed after the removal of the old linoleum.
- Financial savings as there is no need for underlayment and floor finishing.
There are also disadvantages. The service life of such an overlap may be less - linoleum can be collected in waves. Sometimes, in order to leave the old base, you still need to dismantle all the material, carry out finishing work, and only then lay the finishing base.
Principles of choosing linoleum
If the decision as to whether to laynew linoleum on the old, already found, it is worth taking care of choosing the right material:
- For domestic use, you need to choose a base with a thickness of at least 0.35-0.6 mm. The semi-commercial or commercial version of the product has the best wear resistance.
- Recently purchased material must have a backing. If you need additional noise or heat insulation, then it is advisable to choose a foam substrate.
- The ideal option would be a homogeneous type of linoleum. The only drawback of this option may be the appearance of dark stripes and spots during operation.
Additionally, you need to take into account the cross-country ability, functionality and the principle of mechanical impact on the premises. These factors will greatly influence the choice of material.
Recommendations for checking the material in the shop
In order not to make a mistake with the choice of linoleum, you need to conduct several tests in the store itself:
- Check the quality of homogeneous linoleum - bend the corner. If small cracks form on the fold, then the production technology has been violated. During the operation of this product option, indelible spots and stripes will appear on the surface over time.
- It is imperative to carry out basic tests that are relevant when choosing this material - check the perversity when bending, the degree of attachment of the substrate - by rolling, quality certificatesgoods.
- Ask a sales assistant to find out all the features and characteristics of products. It is advisable to choose goods of famous brands.
If all the criteria are normal, then it is quite possible to lay such linoleum over the old one.
Tools for the job
Is it possible to lay linoleum on old linoleum without the right tools? Of course not! List of necessary tools for quick laying work:
- Steel ruler, which will become relevant when cutting and cutting pieces from a common canvas.
- Metal tape measure, pencils and marker.
- Construction knife with removable blade. Additionally prepare blades of various configurations.
- Narrow and wide spatula for applying and spreading adhesive.
- Roller, boards and shovels for pressing and leveling linoleum. Such tools are needed to remove excess glue and air from under the material.
- A device for cutting and "welding" seams between strips and parts of the material.
Depending on the characteristics of the old coating, additional tools may be needed.
Preparatory work: preparing the surface
Before laying linoleum on old linoleum, you should inquire about the rules for preparing the old surface. It is carried out in several stages:
- The baseboard needs to be removed first.
- All places where the old coating has peeled offfrom the floor, you need to glue. By the same principle, air bubbles are eliminated.
- Old linoleum needs to be washed and all stains and dirt removed from its surface. Let dry.
- "Weld" the seams between the strips of canvases. Cracks can be sealed with silicone sealant, and leveled with a rubber spatula. Wait for complete solidification.
- Degrease the surface and then primer.
This preparatory stage of the floor surface is fully completed.
The principle of laying the material on the old coating
In order not to spoil the new coating, it is important to familiarize yourself with the work algorithm in order to properly lay linoleum on the old linoleum. This procedure is carried out in several main stages, after preliminary preparation of the old base:
- The canvases are cut along the contours of the room. Straighten the rolls with a knife, cut and cut along the walls with a construction knife. It is recommended to leave a margin of 5 cm along the walls.
- Leave the canvases on the floor for 2-3 days so that the canvases straighten out and take the desired shape. Before direct fastening, once again check the conformity of the joints and cutouts.
- Glue the inside of the linoleum with glue (stick strips of adhesive tape) and put it in place.
- Using special boards and rollers, press the material to the floor covering, remove air and excess gluefrom under cover.
- If seams have formed between the strips, you need to “weld” them. A special tool for welding seams will cope with such work.
- On both sides of the joints, stick strips of masking tape, which will help keep the rest of the fabric clean.
- Lubricate the inter-seam space with the composition directly from the tube. Remove excess substance with a rubber spatula.
- When the "weld" hardens, remove masking tape.
In the same way, other webs of material are fixed. After complete drying, skirting boards and sills are attached.
Recommendation for inexperienced craftsmen
Inexperienced craftsmen often wonder how to lay linoleum on old linoleum themselves.
The procedure is carried out according to the standard algorithm, but there is an additional recommendation - before the final installation, it is necessary to check the correctness of the cutting, the fit of the seams several times.
That is, you need to follow folk wisdom - measure seven times, and cut one.
Secrets about finishing
Instructions on how to lay a new linoleum on the old, quite understandable and simple. But there are a few nuances that can simplify the procedure and help maintain the high quality of the result.
Secrets for doing quality work:
- Tolinoleum straightened out and lay down as evenly as possible, it is advisable to spread the material 2 days before laying.
- It is important to maintain an optimal microclimate, in which the temperature should be from 18 to 24 degrees, and the humidity should not exceed 65%.
- No need to use glue or tape to install linoleum if the room area is small. The necessary fastening will be provided by skirting boards and sills.
- To install a new linoleum on a new one, it is advisable to use a special type of glue, which guarantees increased strength.
- Until the glue dries, do not open windows for ventilation or change the temperature, air humidity.
If you follow these simple recommendations, the result of the installation will be effective. Linoleum will lie flat, will not bulge during operation and will last a very long time.