The weak point in the design of a single-lever faucet is the cartridge, the element that mixes hot and cold tap water. A leaking faucet or noise during water supply indicates a malfunction, and to get rid of such a problem, it is enough to replace the element. You don't need to call a plumber to fix it. This is a simple job, the main thing is to figure out how to replace the cartridge in the faucet.
Features of DIY faucet repair
Single-lever faucets withstand years of operation without fail, but due to the state of water containing microscopic particles of sand and other deposits, the tightness of the products is broken and they begin to flow. Replacing the cartridge in the faucet will solve the problem, and the cost of the part is low, which will help save on the purchase of new plumbing.
What is the difference between cartridges
They are distinguished by the following parameters:
- landing part;
- stem length.
To pick up a new part, dismantle the faucet and remove the old faucet cartridge. So you can easily choose a model and buy a new quality product.
How to replace the cartridge correctly
The procedure for installing a new product consists of several steps, including:
- Water cut off. Before starting work, shut off the water supply racks with cold and hot water supply. Don't forget to open the faucet and let out the rest of the water that has stagnated in the pipes.
- Dismantling the decorative cap. This design is on the faucet lever at the front. She is to be removed. To carry out the procedure carefully, pry off the plug with a screwdriver, then unscrew the locking screw of the handle, armed with a hexagon.
- Removing the lever housing that hides the defective part. It happens that the lever is not removed, which means that he has become attached to it. The problem is easily solved by watering the part with hot water. As a result of expansion, it can be easily removed, and if this does not help, then spray the surface with WD-40. It will not be possible to remove the cartridge without dismantling the lever.
- Removing the nut holding the cartridge to the body.
- Dismantling the old cartridge and replacing it with a new one, which should take its place without any additional effort. Check that the hole of the replaced part is correctly aligned with the faucet.
- Strengthening the structure. Replace the nut and don't forget to tighten it.
- Installing the faucet cartridge handle, whichput on the rod.
- Final assembly of the structure. At this point, tighten the locking screw and insert the decorative plastic plug into place.
Properly replacing the cartridge will extend the life of the product by another 4-5 years.
Knowing how to replace the cartridge in the faucet, and using a simple instruction to complete the steps, any owner will be able to cope with the task. The procedure will not cause special labor. The home master is quite capable of dismantling the old mixer with the further installation of a new one and replacing the cartridge inside it.
Species diversity of cartridges for single-lever faucets
Before you buy a cartridge, you should familiarize yourself with the design features of these products. There are two types of cartridges:
Features of ball cartridges
Before you replace the cartridge in the faucet (in the shower or in the bathroom - it doesn't matter, check out the features of the types of products presented and choose the best option.
The cartridge for the ball mixer is distinguished by the possibility of adjusting the water, therefore setting a comfortable temperature for taking water procedures. Due to their shape, the products are less sensitive to hard water and micro particles.
The principle of operation of the product isin that water enters the mixer, passing through spring-loaded Teflon seats and a pair of inlet channels where mixing takes place.
One of the main disadvantages of this kind of design is the sensitivity of the ball to corrosion. Over time, the cartridge wears out Teflon seals and connecting gaskets due to the increased level of chlorine in the water.
This type of movement is rarely seen on store shelves as it requires a special permit to release.
Distinctive features of ceramic cartridges
An alternative to ball mixers cartridge. The design consists of two plates made of aluminum oxide. It is important that water does not seep between them, even a drop of liquid. Parts show distinctive quality and are designed to last a minimum of 10 years.
The ceramic cartridge for the shower faucet, which is located in the diverter, distributes water to the hand shower head. If it is a faucet in the bathroom, then it is changed by analogy with the kitchen spout.
Kitchen faucet cartridge replacement failure entails the purchase of a diverter.
Distinctive characteristics of cartridges from different manufacturers
Products of different manufacturers of plumbing parts do not differ significantly. Some develop parts using their own technology, trying to make them more advanced:
- Experts recommend cartridges forGrohe faucets, whose outer surface of the plates is coated with a special carbon-crystalline coating, which makes the products more durable.
- Finnish faucet standard from Oras is reliable and practical, and in the event of a breakdown of the product, it will not be difficult to find a replacement, because the brand of cartridges is widely distributed in plumbing stores.
- Vidima spare parts are considered to be one of the mixers available on the market. A five-year warranty period speaks volumes about the reputation of the company. Many customers trust Vidima and have already verified in practice that the mixers of this company have to be changed infrequently.
- Hansgrohe – Ceramic faucet cartridges. Equipped with a safety function, which has a positive effect on saving water and electricity. If replacement is necessary, it will cope with the dismantling of the structure easily without assistance.
- Boltic is a brand of the aforementioned Hansgrohe company. The patented formula for the production of mixers made it possible to achieve an innovative result: a special way of attaching the handle and lever of the crane allows the mixer to operate for more than ten years without failures and loosening of the structure.
What to look for when buying a new product
Before you buy parts, you should pay attention to the quality. It is clear that such an element of plumbing will not last forever, and replacement of the cartridge in a single-lever faucet will still be required, but still note that such products and all consumables for them should be bought at a specialized store or ordered from a distributor.
If the “one-handed” breaks down, if the selection of the part is appropriate, purchase an analogue of a new cartridge or try to find the original and replace it. It is possible and even better to buy a new part, because such products are not very expensive, but buying one cartridge instead of a mixer will still come out cheaper. Which of the proposed options to choose, decide for yourself. The first is preferable, the second is even cheaper.
Before you change the cartridge in the faucet in the bathroom or in the kitchen, consider purchasing water filters. This will help extend the life of the products up to 5 years.
Try to buy products of well-known companies with a positive reputation and reviews on the Web. It is not necessary to choose an expensive model. Products from the mid-price category are also good and will pass for an alternative in case of a limited budget for repairs.
Untreated water has a negative effect on the condition of the mixer and its functioning, therefore it quickly deteriorates.
Before you replace the cartridge in the faucet, you need to buy it, so keep in mind that each company has its own "stuffing" for the faucet models on the market, and it would be better if the outer shell matches the inner content. This is an extremely important point.
Why you should pay attention to the choice of products
We have already found out that it is enough to simply replace the cartridge in the mixer yourself. But be aware that product prices vary greatly.This is due to the presence of several sizes of parts that function according to the same scheme, but differ in the amount of water that they can pass through. Sometimes on the market there are Chinese fakes of low cost that do not differ in quality - such products are not recommended to be bought so as not to harm yourself.
If you know how to replace the cartridge in the faucet, plumbing failure will no longer be a problem. By putting into practice the learned data, you will quickly cope with the expected amount of work and prevent more serious problems that emerge as a result of a leaky faucet.