The purpose of the article is to tell the reader how to fix a plastic apron in the kitchen. Making a room for eating and cooking with this decorative product has become popular due to its smooth surface and low price. During the fastening of the apron, special equipment is not required, so all installation work can be done independently.
In the manufacture of plastic aprons, the following materials are used:
- PVC panels, the standard width of which is 25 cm, and the thickness is 0.8–1.2 cm. They are produced in lengths from 2.6 to 3 m. Their main feature is the presence of special locks on glossy or matte parts for making seamless connections. Therefore, with proper installation, you can independently make a kitchen apron for the kitchen on the wall in the form of a monolithic surface from individual elements. The main thing is that there are no gaps, otherwise water and debris will get into them. PVC is made of plain, covered with thermal film or lacqueredaprons.
- ABS sheets are single-layer plastic materials decorated with photo printing or a pattern. The finished kitchen apron made of ABS plastic, as a rule, is produced in dimensions of 200 x 60 x 0.15 cm. Its main advantage is high resistance to mechanical damage and no bending deformation. An apron made of sheet plastic is produced in a wide variety of designs, since high-quality images are applied to the surface of the product. In addition, you can order an apron with an original pattern.
- Moulded polycarbonate is a refractory plastic material that looks like ordinary glass. The surface is glossy and matte. Kitchen aprons made from this material are sold ready-made. Images imitating tiles, decorative stone, brick and other materials are applied to the inner coating of polycarbonate. In addition, such an apron can be equipped with lighting elements (for example, LEDs) that will illuminate the product.
Taking into account the size of the kitchen wall to be lined, you need to calculate and select the appropriate model.
Kitchen apron for the kitchen on the wall made of plastic has the following positive qualities:
- quick and easy DIY installation;
- in the event of a breakdown, replacing a damaged part is a simple task;
- relatively low cost (average price for 1 m2 ABS plastic products - 1300 rubles);
- protection against condensation and variousdeposits;
- behind the surface it will turn out to hide the electrical wires;
- undemanding to clean (sometimes you need to wipe the surface with a damp sponge to remove dirty marks and greasy stains);
- does not absorb odors;
- moisture resistance;
- high thermal stability (withstands up to 80 °C);
- light weight.
Manufacturers make models that imitate various materials. For example, a brick kitchen apron will fit perfectly into the interior. In addition, there are products decorated with photo printing, which is applied to the surface with high-tech equipment. Thanks to this, there are unlimited possibilities for decorating the apron.
Before attaching a plastic apron in the kitchen, you need to study its disadvantages in order to understand what shortcomings will have to be corrected after installation. The obvious disadvantages of the product include the following parameters:
- scratches easily, therefore, metal scrapers and abrasive powders, as well as acetone should not be used to clean the surface from heavy contamination;
- is easily deformed by mechanical damage;
- protection must be installed between the apron and the hob;
- plastic releases toxic fumes when ignited;
- burns out when exposed to UV rays;
- short service life (about 5 years).
But in any case, such a decorative element has much more advantages than disadvantages, so masters andrecommend tiling them with a working wall in the kitchen.
Choosing an apron: useful tips
There are a few things to consider before buying or ordering a product:
- The edges of the apron should go beyond the kitchen set, so you need to take all measurements first.
- In order to prevent water flowing from the countertop from getting under the product, it is recommended to install a border for joints, the purpose of which is to prevent moisture from penetrating.
- For small rooms, the best choice would be a white backsplash that matches the overall design of the kitchen. You can choose a light product, decorated with a discreet pattern.
- It's a bad idea to cover the wall with a small apron with a manufacturer's thermal print as it won't be visible.
Before proceeding with the installation of the apron, you need to prepare such devices for preparatory and installation work:
- level and measuring tape;
- impact drill or hammer drill and drill;
- stationery knife;
- liquid nail gun;
From consumables, silicone sealant, glue, primer will be useful and fasteners (self-tapping screws and dowels) will be needed.
Initial stage - surface preparation
According to the advice of the masters, it is necessary to prepare the wall. To do this, you need to perform a few simple steps:
- Dismantleold coating.
- Treat the surface with an acrylic primer and antifungal agent.
- Level the base with a mixture of gypsum plaster.
Before attaching a plastic apron in the kitchen, you need to consider the placement of technological holes for installing sockets. If the wiring will pass under the product, it will have to be laid in strobes, which must be done in the wall using a puncher. As a result, the irregularities must be primed, and the electrical wires must be covered with a gypsum mixture.
Preparing the apron
Initially, you need to determine the size of the product. The best option would be an apron that protrudes slightly beyond the level of the countertop (approximately 1–3 cm). In turn, the height of the panel directly depends on the design of the kitchen. If the edge of the apron runs along the center of the wall, it will be necessary to treat the seams with silicone sealant and decorate them, for example, with moldings.
If too large a sheet of plastic was bought, then it will have to be cut to the desired size. For these purposes, a hacksaw with fine teeth or a clerical knife is useful. You can make a perfectly even cut with nichrome wire. When the apron needs to be assembled from several plastic parts, in this case the seams should be placed vertically. Otherwise, the laying technique will be violated, which will inevitably lead to damage to the entire structure.
For the correct installation of a plastic apron in the kitchen, you must select the installation method. It depends on the type of product, the features of the headset and the stage of repair.
Gluing an apron is a reliable and optimal option
This method has obvious advantages:
- the panel will fit snugly against the surface, so there will be no free space between the wall and the product;
- thanks to liquid nails (special construction adhesive) plastic will become less susceptible to mechanical stress;
- simple styling technology.
This installation option is suitable when even walls are prepared in the room, cleaned of dust and treated with a primer. The masters came up with the best and easiest way to glue a plastic apron in the kitchen, for which you need to follow the following method:
- Measure distance to outlets and other items that require through holes.
- Mark with a pencil the resulting dimensions on the back of the apron.
- Cut out notches of the appropriate size. You will need a sharp utility knife to complete this step.
- Mark on the wall the lines of the top and bottom edges of the product.
- Apply thin strips of assembly adhesive to the back of the apron.
- Press the back of the plastic sheet to the wall surface. The main thing is to press the edges of the product so that they do not come off.
- Cover the plastic sections with decorative plinths and mask the joints with planks, if necessary.
Do-it-yourself installation of a plastic apron in the kitchen is a simple task. However, if you need to dismantle the decorativeelement, in which case there will be irreversible damage, due to which the product will become unsuitable for reuse.
How to fix a plastic apron in the kitchen with dowels: instructions
Mounting with the fasteners mentioned should not cause any problems. This installation method is best for panels that have a pattern applied, as the same adhesive may slightly damage the pattern. In the course of work, it is not necessary to move the furniture set. Installation should be carried out according to this plan:
- Make holes for dowels with a drill or puncher in the wall and apron. At this stage, a building level will come in handy, with which it will be possible to perform accurate markup.
- Clean the surface of the resulting dust.
- Attach the prepared apron to the wall and fix it with dowels.
- Disguise the hats with furniture caps, the color of which should match the plastic.
The apron installed in this way is easy to dismantle: to do this, unscrew the dowels and carefully remove the product. In addition, pins (screws for concrete) or anchor bolts can be used for fastening.
Installation of the apron with the crate
The mentioned design is wooden and metal. If lumber (for example, bars) is used for its organization, they must first be treated with water-repellent impregnation, antiseptic and fire retardant to protect the tree from negative influences.
Profiles and stripsmust be leveled. According to the masters, there is a quick way to install a plastic apron in the kitchen using a crate:
- Fix bars or metal profiles at a distance of no more than 50 cm with dowels or staples.
- Fix the plastic panel with screws.
- Sheathe the edges and cuts of the apron with decorative strips.
This technique has several advantages:
- can be installed on uneven surfaces;
- a free gap is formed between the wall and the apron, in which you can hide the wiring and install decorative lighting.
The plastic kitchen apron is the perfect choice if you need to quickly make cosmetic repairs. This product is easy to install, and the room, in which the work wall is sheathed with this material, will look original and stylish. All installation work can be done independently without special tools. It is enough to study the information provided in this article, which details how to attach a plastic apron in the kitchen.