Often, when carrying out repairs in an apartment, people are faced with the problem of installing socket boxes. Some try to carry out this stage of work on their own.
In order to competently carry out the procedure for mounting socket boxes into the wall, you need to know all the subtleties and nuances of the installation. It is necessary to distinguish between what types of socket boxes are, in what sequence to carry out installation work. More on this later in the article.
What are the types?
The socket box is installed so that the socket or switch is firmly in place. This element provides high-quality fixation, prevents fires.
Sockets can be divided into types based on differences in the material of manufacture.
- Plastic. These days they are in the highest demand. The main advantage of this material is that it is non-flammable. This kind of wideused in wooden walls. It is used in rooms, the decoration of which is made of lining or timber. Such elements are bought for installation in baths, as well as for country houses. The range of application is very wide. And the cost of plastic elements is not so high.
- Metal sockets have become much less common. A few years ago they were bought so that in the event of a fire they would not allow the fire to go beyond this element. It is important to understand that metal is a conductor of electricity and it is unacceptable to use this type of product due to safety precautions when working with electrical appliances. Demand for this type of sockets has decreased markedly.
- Wooden overlays do not lose their relevance today. They are often used when installing electrical wiring, in the case of installing a socket on the wall.
Which is better to choose? Experts advise resorting to the choice of plastic structures. This is the best option.
What are the design differences?
Products are distinguished by the nuances of the design. There are those that are installed in drywall walls, and there are special "glasses" for concrete. They differ in the presence of special legs that help with fixing the element in the wall.
Plastic sockets are widely used in concrete walls as well as in brick walls. It is permissible to install them in aerated concrete walls, and in foam blocks. A small layer of alabaster must be placed in each hole, then the element will be securely fixed.
Differences in mounting type
Socket boxes differ in the type of installation. They are divided into:
- Closed type. Represents a glass that should have presser feet.
- Open type. Usually attached directly to the baseboard. The wiring in this case goes under the plinth.
What are the shapes?
Socket boxes, also called mounting boxes, can be of various shapes. Highlight:
- Round. Are in the greatest demand among the population.
- Square. Use as needed, based on the nuances of the wiring. They fit more wires.
- Oval is chosen when they want to mount a double socket or add a switch.
- In some cases, it becomes necessary to install a composite structure. You can install a whole block of sockets in it. You can put up to five glasses in one system. The depth of the glass is selected based on the given conditions. When wiring is carried out, bypassing junction boxes, then deep glasses are chosen. They will double as a junction box.
Differences in socket boxes in size
Socket boxes often vary in size. First-time installers don't know which ones to choose.
Standard box is usually produced in the size of 68 × 45 centimeters. It is important to understand that its depth in this case is 40 centimeters. The inner diameter of the socket will be 65 centimeters.
There are narrow products.Their depth is 25 centimeters. The size of such a mounting box can be up to 60 centimeters. In unusual cases, they save the day.
Square junction boxes are produced by each company in different dimensions. The standard size is usually 70cm x 70cm but can also be 60cm x 60cm.
What should I consider when choosing a product?
Installation of socket boxes should begin with the right choice of box. Important to consider:
- The material the wall is made of. If the design is one-piece, then you can fix the box with self-tapping screws. There are special holes for them.
- When the partition is made of drywall and is hollow inside, it is better to fix the box by adjusting the tabs. Nowadays, you can buy a socket with two mounting options. The spreader tabs will be more secure on drywall than on a brick wall. Mounting in bricks will not be as secure.
- What is the shape of the socket, its dimensions. You need to check if the socket is intended for mounting in a round box or a square-type socket is needed.
- A significant point will be the cross-sectional area of the wires that need to be connected to the desired outlet.
Advice from experienced electricians
To carry out the installation of socket boxes, professional electricians advise buying about twenty centimeters of wire in reserve. Such an emergency reserve is needed for unforeseen repairs. There should always be a few extra centimeters. Specialistsexplain this by the fact that when installing sockets, wires are always cut. The end of each wire is stripped. Wire stock is declining.
There are situations when there is a shortage of wires. In this case, it is necessary to build up the missing part by welding or solder the desired piece. Such methods are considered extreme, since the resulting wire will differ in quality and characteristics.
In stock, you should always have perfectly flat wires that will not have visible defects, such as creases. In the box, uninsulated cords should not be allowed to touch each other.
What tools are needed for the operation?
Installing an outlet in a socket box is considered a fairly simple procedure if you know the basic subtleties of the process. Most of the time is spent drilling the wall. Moreover, the installation of socket boxes in a brick wall is slightly different from the same manipulation in concrete. The process is faster in a brick wall.
Before starting work, you must turn off the electricity in the apartment, you must follow safety precautions. Do not confuse the lever that turns off one room from the general machine for the whole house. When disconnected, in addition to the phase, zero is also broken. Be sure to check if there is voltage, even if the person turned off the machine.
To install the socket in the socket, it is important to prepare the tools in advance. For work you will need:
- Phillips screwdriver and small level.
- You need to prepare pliers in advance.
- You will need to purchase GML shells.
- It's also worth stocking upthermotubes and special pressing tongs.
- You can't do without a puncher and an electric drill when working. You need to purchase putty and spatulas.
In each tool you can find a hammer, a marker, a chisel. All of these tools will be required for further action.
How long should the wire strip be?
When a person independently strips the upper sheath of wires, it does not need to be peeled off to the base of the socket. It is necessary to leave a margin of a few millimeters. Then the wires will be protected from damage. Otherwise, they may be crushed by the edges of the socket.
The next step will be an incision, which is made in a circular motion, and after it you need to make a longitudinal one. It turns out that the shell is easy to get out.
Which is better - plastering and then installing sockets or vice versa?
Many are faced with the question of what is better: installation of socket boxes before or after plastering. Electricians do both before and after the stage of plastering surfaces. Some argue that it is better to make a thick layer of plaster than to install sockets in a concrete wall.
Another part of the professionals advises to first ditch the walls, use beacons to create a certain level and install sockets, and then plaster. This method of mounting socket boxes requires more energy and time, but it implies the ability to immediately see the finished result. After it, it will not be necessary to plaster any areas again, anythingfinish.
The nuances of hidden wiring
In new homes, hidden wiring is often installed. For her, a recess is specially made in the wall so that a flush-mounted socket box can fit there.
It is necessary that the outlet merges with the horizon line or with the wall. If it sticks out, it will be very conspicuous and spoil the design of the room.
If the outlet is installed deeper than the norm, then its strength will suffer. In order for the construction to stand for a long time and be solid, it is necessary:
- Fix the cable firmly inside the wall.
- Bring the ends to the box and install inside it. It is important to remove the right amount of insulation from the ends of the wire.
- After that, the cable must be firmly fixed in the wall.
When installing a switch in a socket, many people take into account only their wishes regarding the design of the room. They rarely take into account the important electrical safety requirements:
- It is necessary that there are high-quality and reliable connections of contacts. Electricity must pass through them with little or no loss of voltage.
- It is necessary to check and control whether all cores are under insulation.
- It is necessary to restrict access to the room during the work. Keep children and animals away from bare wires.
- Do not run wires through a wooden wall. This is dangerous.
Is it safe to put the socket on the foam?
A common question is whether it is possible toinstallation of a socket box on foam. Many note that this method is convenient when working. It is not difficult to install a socket box on foam, but no one can guarantee reliability and long service life. Therefore, it is better to refuse this method.
The nuances of mounting in a brick wall
The installation of a socket in a brick wall should follow the following rules:
- Marking is applied on the surface with their own hands. To do this, use markers and a building level. You can choose the height of the sockets yourself. Markup actions are simple, even a beginner can handle them. The center of the socket is marked with a cross, the cup holder is leaning against the wall, circled with a marker.
- Need to drill a suitable hole. For this, a perforator is used. Usually you need to drill a hole five centimeters deeper than the socket itself.
- Some drill a niche with an ordinary drill. Work in a circle until you get the desired result. Using a chisel, you need to get the core.
- Many electricians prefer to make niches for sockets with a grinder. To do this, you need to purchase a diamond disc.
- Be sure to clean the hole from the inside. The next step will be fitting the socket. It should fit easily in the resulting space. After that, you can make holes for the wires and place them inside.
- To fix the socket box to the wall, you can independently prepare a solution of gypsum putty. To it you need to add only water and alabaster. It is important to get the right proportion. Then the solutionget the right consistency.
- Using a spatula, the solution is applied and the socket box is attached. In order for the socket to “stand up” evenly in the future, it is necessary that the screws are parallel to the floor covering. Otherwise, you will not be able to install the outlet correctly.
- It is necessary to evenly cover the edges of the coaster. The remaining solution must be removed before it dries. You can proceed to the next stage of electrical work only after the putty layer has dried.
What else to consider?
When the socket boxes are installed in drywall, professionals do not recommend making a putty solution, otherwise the design will be unreliable. In the process of work, only a glass is required, which has special presser feet. They will help to securely fix the wires.
You need to make a markup, and then cut a hole of the desired size. Next, you can insert the socket. With screws, the box is securely fixed inside the plasterboard wall. This work can easily be done by a beginner in this business, who has never even worked with a chisel and a drill. By similar methods, socket boxes are installed in concrete walls, in aerated concrete walls and in foam block structures.
So, we have examined how the wall sockets are installed in the wall. As you can see, this operation can be carried out independently. But you must always take into account certain rules and requirements. It is important not to allow anyerrors in the course of work.