In the article we will talk about how to make a brazier from metal and brick with your own hands. As soon as warm days come, many try to get out into nature. And there is nowhere without tasty, juicy, fatty (and harmful) shish kebab. As a rule, everything tasty is harmful, we will not argue with nutritionists. You can also cook barbecue on the simplest kind of barbecue - put a few bricks, light a fire between them. But do you want more convenience and comfort? Then it would be wiser to make a barbecue or buy.
Pros and cons of metal structures
When we talk about barbecues, metal structures come to mind first of all. Their most important advantage is that they have a low cost. And one feature should be noted - the cost of buying sheet metal, corners, pipes is much less than the cost of a finished barbecue. But there is one more thing to keep in mind -manufacturing will suit almost any scrap metal. These are old barrels, and cylinders, and sheet metal. And if a brazier is made from such recycled materials, then its cost will approach zero. First, we will look at how to properly make a metal brazier, then we will move on to more “advanced” designs - brick.
Another advantage of the metal construction is its relative simplicity. If you know how to handle welding, a grinder, a drill, then you can easily assemble a simple brazier. And the third plus is that the design can be made both stationary and mobile. Therefore, you can take it with you on picnics. And if you make a brazier from thick metal, then it will last a long time. Of course, when making a portable one, you need to pay attention to convenience. The lighter the structure, the easier it is to transport. But there is also a drawback - if the thickness of the walls of the brazier is insufficient, then after some time they will burn out or collapse under the influence of moisture.
Make a brazier from sheet iron
If you make a brazier with your own hands from good metal, then it will withstand even high temperatures without any problems. And the walls will not burn out. If you use metal with a thickness of 4-5 mm, then the walls will not lead. Therefore, it is not recommended to use roofing sheets for the manufacture of metal barbecues. In order to cook barbecue in nature, a brazier is enough, in which the walls are 2-4 mm thick. They have a small weight, you can perform a collapsible design. It is much more convenient to transport even in the car,even on the train. Let's look at how to properly make a brazier. Drawings and dimensions of structures are given in the article.
Before starting work, stock up on the necessary amount of metal. Suitable for the manufacture of material, the thickness of which is from 2 to 4 mm. This is the most optimal value. You will also need a corner, its width should be at least 40 mm. From the tools you will need a welding machine, a grinder, an electric drill and a set of metal drills, a marker, a construction square and a ruler. In order to make legs, prepare a pipe or profile. The cross section must be at least 400 square meters. mm.
Step-by-step guide to making a brazier
Let's look at how to properly make a barbecue grill (stationary design for a summer residence):
- First prepare the drawing, then transfer it to the metal sheet. With the help of a grinder, it is necessary to cut the blanks. If metal is used, the thickness of which is about 2 mm or less, it is necessary to draw a drawing in the form of a sweep. After that, at right angles, it is necessary to bend the workpiece along the lines where the walls adjoin the bottom.
- Using a square, you need to grab the side walls by welding to the bottom. Boil all seams thoroughly along the entire length of the junction.
- Then you need to make a few holes to ensure air flow. To do this, you can use drills with a diameter of more than 10 mm. Holes must be made on the side walls at the bottom. In the event that you plan to provide air flow through the bottom, provide an additional box forash accumulation.
- To make it more convenient to fry kebabs, make small cuts on the long walls. With their help, you can lay the skewers on their side. It is recommended to alternately cut grooves 3 to 5 cm long and 6 to 8 cm long. Thanks to this, you can set the desired height of the skewers above the coals.
- At this step, you need to consider ready-made barbecue options in order to decide how yours will be installed. You need to make a frame to which you bolt the barbecue directly, as well as shelves for storing various appliances, utensils and firewood.
- In the same case, if you are making a brazier for trips to nature, you do not need to make a frame. It would be much better to weld small pieces of metal pipe at the corners of the bottom. They need to install metal rods that will be used as legs. The length of these tubes must be selected individually, it all depends on specific needs.
- On the short walls of the brazier in the upper part, you need to weld handles, in this case it will be much more convenient to transport it.
- Install the lid over the barbecue. It will protect the inside from rain and snow. It is allowed to use roofing iron for the manufacture of the cover.
- And, of course, you can decorate the brazier with forged elements. In addition, it is recommended to clean all metal parts with a brush, and then paint with a special heat-resistant paint. As soon as the paint dries, you can start kindling the barbecue.
Of course, it's best not to fry the meat the first time, but just light a fire to let the whole body warm up.
Demountable metal grill
You can make a small structure that can be assembled in minutes. To make it, you need to use the same materials and tools that were mentioned above. It is also desirable to have an electric jigsaw and reinforced scissors for metal. Fasteners and dies will not be superfluous.
So, the best option, which is suitable for most cases:
- Barbecue width 30 cm.
- The length of the structure should be 60 cm. In this case, 6 skewers can be placed on it. If you need more, then increase the length at the rate of 10 cm per skewer.
- Walls should be 15 cm high.
- The length of the support legs is 60 cm. It is necessary that they be the same length as the brazier itself. In this case, you will be able to create the most compact design.
How to make a portable grill
And now let's look at how to make a brazier with your own hands:
- The frame is made from corners. Just make a rectangle. Fastening is carried out by welding. In this case, we need a frame, the width of which will be 23 cm and the length 57 cm. At the bottom of the structure, pipe sections with a diameter of 17 mm must be welded. Their length should be about 5 cm. After that, support legs will be installed in them. Before you properly make a brazier out of metal, all dimensions are requiredare verified. It is important that the design is smooth and stable.
- In order to make the legs, you will need 4 identical pieces of pipe with an inner diameter of 18-20 mm. End caps can be installed on the sides of the tubes that will rest on the ground.
- Now you need to cut out the bottom and side elements from the metal sheet. Then make all the necessary grooves and holes in them.
- Following the diagram that you had to create at the very first stage, fix all the elements on the frame with bolts. To do this, drill through holes.
- The functions of a grate can be performed by a grate welded from reinforcement rods, the diameter of which is 8-10 mm. At the edges you need to weld the legs, their length should be no more than 20 mm.
- Fix the sides on the bars. But for this, it is necessary to cut the threads for the nuts at the ends. If you do not have the opportunity to use welding, the elements can be screwed to the side elements using horseshoe bolts. Please note that all fasteners are recommended to be installed from the hearth side. In this case, you will ensure the safety of the threaded connection.
As you can see, it is not difficult to assemble such a brazier on your own. And no specific instructions are needed. The process is simple and hassle-free. In fact, you need to make a frame, as well as a box in which coals will burn. There are no features that cause difficulties here.
Use a barrel or gas bottle
By the way, normala propane tank or an iron barrel can be used to make a barbecue. True, only a stationary structure will turn out. After all, the brazier will be quite heavy. Moreover, there are a large number of options - in some the lid leans back, in others it does not. If you want to create such a brazier with your own hands, then first draw up a detailed drawing. We will tell you how to properly make a brazier with your own hands from a barrel.
Use the same tool as in previous tutorials. You will also need pipes, corners and rods. The amount depends on the size of the cylinder or barrel. Work begins with cutting. With the help of a grinder, you need to divide your workpiece. In fact, you need to cut the balloon, getting the lid and base of the future brazier.
Barbecue from a barrel or gas cylinder
Next, perform the following manipulations:
- Make a stand. To do this, bend the pipe in a semicircle and weld the legs to it. If you cannot bend the pipe beautifully, you can weld two corners at an angle. Install supports at the ends. You should get two identical elements in the form of the letter "M". It is between them that there will be a barbecue. Be sure to connect them with a lattice of metal rods. You can later stack firewood or dishes on it.
- The lower half of the cylinder must be installed on a stand and secured by welding or bolting. We will tell you how to properly make a brazier from a balloon.
- Using metalcorner, you need to ennoble the cuts. It performs not only an aesthetic function, but also gives convenience when laying skewers.
- If you plan to use the brazier as a grill, then you need to install racks on the sides. On the inside of the barrel, you need to weld the brackets on which the barbecue grill will rest.
- To ensure air flow, it is necessary to drill holes at least 12 mm in diameter at the bottom of the side walls. Here's how to make the right brazier. The dimensions of the holes should be such that the coals do not fall out through them (if they are made in the bottom).
- You can mount the barrel on a stand so that the front cut is lower than the back. In this case, the back wall will protect your hearth from gusts of wind and you won’t have to ennoble the cuts with the help of a corner. You can only clean all the edges with an angle grinder. And if you install a horizontal grill on the front cut line, then it can be used for barbecue.
- Installation of the cover is not very difficult, it should not cause any difficulties. It is installed using 2-3 strong loops. The edge of the lid is recommended to be processed to improve the appearance. As a result, the design will be both beautiful and neat.
Modernization and decoration
This design can be used as a smokehouse. To do this, it is necessary to install a chimney on its side. Therefore, decide in advance whether you will smoke products in the grill. After all, if you use a gas cylinder, thenthe pipe can be installed in place of the filler neck. Do not know how to make holes in the barbecue? Try using 12mm drill bits or a welding machine. If you need to make large holes, then you can cut them out with a grinder.
As for decoration, you can use various metal forged products in the form of flowers, curls, leaves, you can buy them at any hardware store. You can also install the grill on decorative metal wheels. Moreover, they can perform not only a decorative function, but also be used for transportation. In other words, it's all up to your imagination.
The brick brazier looks much more beautiful. In addition, it performs more functions than metal. And yes, it looks more impressive. Thick walls can retain heat for a long time. In addition, you will cook the kebab without the risk of burning it. As a rule, brick barbecues perform several functions at once. This is a stove, and a barbecue, and a smokehouse. True, there is one drawback - they can only be stationary. It will not be possible to hide them somewhere or move them if necessary. Therefore, if you are planning to build a brick barbecue, you need to find a secluded place in which it will look good.
But how to make a brick brazier? First you have to build a foundation. Tape is best suited, the depth of the pit is up to 60 cm. First you need to fill it with large stone or rubble, and then pour it with concrete. Abovethe surface of the soil, it is necessary to lay a foundation of buta, the height is not more than 30 cm. The best material for manufacturing is red brick or natural stone. We note right away that it is much more difficult to lay a brazier out of stone than out of brick. Therefore, if you do not have experience, it is worth starting with bricklaying. When making such a brazier, it is necessary to carry out all manipulations slowly and carefully.
Before you start building, review all design options. For a small barbecue, you will need no more than 450 bricks. You will also need high-quality clay, sand, several grates, as a hood - a copper cap, corners 30 x 40 and 40 x 40 mm, doors and latches for ash pans.
Brick barbecue: step by step guide
If you do not know how to make a good barbecue, then we will give one piece of advice - build a brick one. It is more reliable, more durable, and more convenient. For manufacturing, you must perform the following manipulations:
- First decide on the construction site. It can be erected both in open space and in the gazebo, under a canopy. It depends on the installation site which solution you will use subsequently. If outdoors, then you will need heat-resistant concrete. Otherwise, clay solutions can be used.
- Making the foundation. You can make any type of base, it all depends on your preferences. If you wish, you can even make a pile.
- Next, you need to lay out a niche. Its dimensions are 75 x 50 x 50 cm.After that, lay a row of bricks. Be sure to use supports from pre-stocked corners. In the eighth row of masonry, it is necessary to install an equal-shelf corner. It is placed on the back of the row. Corner 30 x 40 mm must be installed in the front. At the same time, slots are made in the front of the 9th row.
- 10 and 11 rows will form an ash pan and blower. Their size should be 12 x 25 cm. Here you will also need to install valves or doors that will allow you to regulate the air flow. In order to install the grate, in the eleventh row it is necessary to cut off a quarter of the bricks.
- 12-13 rows will be equipped for the installation of skewers.
- Laying the firebox will continue until row 21.
- Starting from the 24th row, the masonry narrows. On the sides, each row is reduced by 30 mm, in front - by 17 mm. The back wall of the chimney must be laid out at right angles to the base.
- 33 will be the last row. It will have a copper exhaust hood installed.
In the photographs you can see the designs of brick barbecues, ordering. Agree, the brick structure looks much more attractive than the metal one. Now you know how to make a brazier out of bricks. Photos of finished structures will help you make your choice.